Ruger Mini 14's ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Mini 14 suffers from accuracy because of the barrel band. It doesn't allow the barrel to do it's thing when getting warmer.
There is a guy in Denver that specializes in making the Mini 14 more accurate.
Accuracysystems.com.
I have had some work done with him in the past and was not really happy with the results, but he made it good. That was 10 years ago when he was new, so take my experience as a grain of salt. He appears to have a good reputation with the Mini 14 folks.
I had the mini-14 stainless ranch gun back in the day. It wasn't accurate to say the least at longer ranges. 3" groups at best at 100 yards.
One of the few guns I've ever sold in my life. I think that total sold is three. I buy rarely sell.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had two of the GB models years ago. I wasn’t going for match grade accuracy, but they were reliable and accurate for my needs. Their weakest point was the proprietary Ruger magazines which were expensive. I never found an aftermarket magazine that would work with any reliability. If they made this model that would take an AR magazine, it would be much more popular.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Spending more time researching them it appears that Ruger upgraded the barrel some where late in the 580 prefix series so from serial number prefix 581 and up (which began in 2009) they are considered noticeably more accurate now than the two I had which according to my records had serial number prefixes in the 180's.

From what I've read and as mentioned above Ruger factory mags are pretty much mandatory to avoid function issues and if you are a reloader be prepared to leave some brass behind because from what I've read they fling empties into the next county.

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a good used series 581 and above prefix.......blue or stainless, wood or composite stock just nothing collapsible.

I went through Army basic training in mid 67' with a M14 so action wise the Mini 14 will be like coming home. :)

If anybody runs across a nice one for sale I'd appreciate it if you send me a PM and give me a heads up.

Last edited:

Sooner67

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had a stainless Ranch Rifle since 1994.Decided to get the new Samson folding stock for it,had to wait a few months to get it.The wood is lighter in color but its built like a tank!

IMG_1838 (2).jpg
IMG_1837 (2).jpg

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got 2. One old, one new. I was going to get them both accurized, but then started looking at the prices, and decided they were accurate enough for my needs.

For what the rifle cost, plus 500-800 bucks for gunsmithing, I could buy a pretty accurate rifle right out of the box.

I'll say this, they'll eat anything, and they are fun to shoot. Hang a tarp next to you if you wanna pick up the brass, cause they sling it everywhere.

Minute of Coyote is all I've ever required out of mine, and they do fine for that.

DSUFLYBOY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had two of the GB models years ago. I wasn’t going for match grade accuracy, but they were reliable and accurate for my needs. Their weakest point was the proprietary Ruger magazines which were expensive. I never found an aftermarket magazine that would work with any reliability. If they made this model that would take an AR magazine, it would be much more popular.

I read once somewhere that there was a feud at Ruger over the mags. Many wanted it to use AR mags, but the president at the time said something along the line that “We sell them the rifle, then we have them always coming back to us for years for our proprietary magazines.”

Myself and many others would have bought one if they ran AR mags.

“Watch your six, count your rounds, and keep your powder dry.”

ira41magfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both. a mini 14 and a 30. Neither are target grade while the 14 groups better.

I've found the 30 likes reloads better than factory favoring on .308 sierra 125 fp/fphl meant for the 30/30 using sierrs edition v5.

Latest posts

Top Bottom