Running a red dot on HD shotgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an armadillo issue as we live in the country. Typically I use a .22 pistol with a combo red dot/green dot.

They are never seen during the day, only at night. When I use a strong flash light to spot and shoot them, the red dot is not as good as the green dot. Both on low power. If you use either with a bright light on high power, the entire viewing area is washed out.

Same would happen in a home defense using a bright light down a hall way.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried a couple 1x dots on the 930JM, but could not get the cheek weld right. I asked Mossberg for some riser suggestions, but they did not have any. I went back to the fiber optic bead.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put a cheap red dot on my Akdal 1919 AR platform shotgun. It quickly fell apart from the recoil. Currently have a Aimpoint on it. Hundreds of rounds later, its still intact.

Red dots are a hoot shooting clays with a shotgun. You just don't miss.

WAFFENFELT

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used one, it was a great help with slugs at longer ranges but unless you are a LEO it would be very unusual to need to make a long (75 plus yard) defensive shot and it would probably be hard to justify as well. For me at close range with buckshot it didn't help much more than a good fiber or tritium front bead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom