S&W DAO tune?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strawdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im working on a Smith & Wesson project and was wondering if anyone knew what is needed to tune the trigger for a lighter smoother double action only pull for use with a bobbed hammer. Project gun is a S&W M610-2 N-Frame, Barrel will be cut down to 3" and hammer bobbed. I looked in my Brownells & Midway books, Wolff makes alot of differant springs for this didnt know what i would be needing? Im assuming a lighter mainspring is part of it.

Thanks

Strawdog

Lance Jensen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im working on a Smith & Wesson project and was wondering if anyone knew what is needed to tune the trigger for a lighter smoother double action only pull for use with a bobbed hammer. Project gun is a S&W M610-2 N-Frame, Barrel will be cut down to 3" and hammer bobbed. I looked in my Brownells & Midway books, Wolff makes alot of differant springs for this didnt know what i would be needing? Im assuming a lighter mainspring is part of it.

Thanks

Strawdog

Lighter mainspring may make the gun primer specific for Federals... If you're going to carry the gun leave it alone. Just polish the surfaces with a felt tip on the dremel. I have a 610 for competition use only. Stoned and trimmed

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The word on the street is that you MIGHT be able to lighten the mainspring if you bob the hammer. Otherwise you are in all likelihood going to be shooting only Federal ammo or handloading with only Federal primers.

I haven't tried it myself, but I do have a tuned gun that requires the "Federal diet". With the ammo and primer situation being what it is I'm sticking with Wolf factory weight springs in all my carry guns and I range test them with CCI primered handloads for function, then I add a 1/4 turn on the screw for "insurance" and locktite it. You can however, lighten up the rebound slide spring and it does help some.

strawdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So sounding like since i want to be able to shoot about anything out of it i will just put a wolff factory weight spring, polish the parts, and i guess look into the rebound spring some more. Anyone have the Cylinder & Slide extended firing pin is this good, bad not needed ext....? This will be a carry gun sorry i didnt list that on the original post.

Strawdog

strawdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True, Im looking to improve the double action with this, figured springs had a part to play in this. Never worked with Revolvers mainly worked with 1911's were polishing and stoning results in the trigger job.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So sounding like since i want to be able to shoot about anything out of it i will just put a wolff factory weight spring, polish the parts, and i guess look into the rebound spring some more. Anyone have the Cylinder & Slide extended firing pin is this good, bad not needed ext....? This will be a carry gun sorry i didnt list that on the original post.

Strawdog
This is exactly what I do to mine:
1) Wolff factory main (tension screw only tightened to fire CCI primers +1/4 turn)
2) usually a 13 or 14lb rebound (if you go too light you can find yourself waiting on the trigger to return or short stroke it),
3) and a tweak and polish of the internals. Also make sure your ejector rod is straight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom