Saddle hunters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do have tree climbing spikes and safety harnesses for tree trimming but never use them.
I figured if I can't climb the tree the natural way I probably need to quit being in them.
I am 220 and it is a little tougher to jump up to the first limb, hang by 1 arm and worm my way into a tree.

Probably need to skinny down a bit.
Most of the trees where I hunt are covered in poison ivy.
Yea I know what it looks like dried up also.

huntemup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny responses but rest assured this isn’t new nor some one off thing. Saddle hunting is driving much of the product evolution in the deer hunting world right now.
It’s pretty much the safest way to hunt while elevated. The hardware is rated for mountain climbing and you’re always attached.

Don’t imagine based on the responses I’ll convince many here but if any are interested there’s plenty of YouTube videos to learn more as well as saddle hunting forums. With this system I can go into the woods with about 6lbs of gear and climb any tree to any height regardless of lean, forks or branches. And bc I rappel down when the hunt is over I’m walking away from the tree about 4 minutes after I decide it’s time to go down. Not to mention while hunting I can cover 360 degrees-there are no shots I can’t take provided I have a lane. All while using the tree to shield me from approaching deer

What got me into it a few years back was the portability/mobility. Bc you’re traveling light you are never limited to one spot. I was hunting a River bottom on black kettle 2 yrs ago and the winds shifted midday. Within 15 minutes I was out of my tree from 25ish ft up and settled into another location about 18ft up into a cottonwood a few hundred yards away and killed a decent public land 10 pointer 45 minutes later.

You are rarely too old. Many on the saddle forums are in their 60s and just starting with saddle hunting.

oh and yeah I can sleep pretty comfortably in my saddle

Last edited:

ruckerduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny responses but rest assured this isn’t new nor some one off thing. Saddle hunting is driving much of the product evolution in the deer hunting world right now.
It’s pretty much the safest way to hunt while elevated. The hardware is rated for mountain climbing and you’re always attached.

Don’t imagine based on the responses I’ll convince many here but if any are interested there’s plenty of YouTube videos to learn more as well as saddle hunting forums. With this system I can go into the woods with about 6lbs of gear and climb any tree to any height regardless of lean, forks or branches. And bc I rappel down when the hunt is over I’m walking away from the tree about 4 minutes after I decide it’s time to go down. Not to mention while hunting I can cover 360 degrees-there are no shots I can’t take provided I have a lane. All while using the tree to shield me from approaching deer

What got me into it a few years back was the portability/mobility. Bc you’re traveling light you are never limited to one spot. I was hunting a River bottom on black kettle 2 yrs ago and the winds shifted midday. Within 15 minutes I was out of my tree from 25ish ft up and settled into another location about 18ft up into a cottonwood a few hundred yards away and killed a decent public land 10 pointer 45 minutes later.

You are rarely too old. Many on the saddle forums are in their 60s and just starting with saddle hunting.

oh and yeah I can sleep pretty comfortably in my saddle
Those who say it is uncomfortable have never tried it. The flexibility is amazing. you can hunt anywhere.

Latest posts

Top Bottom