Good public land for deer and Turkey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 1st time I hunted public land I never saw a soul……until I shot my buck.

I looked up towards a fence and there were at least 6 hunters lined up watching me. I asked one of them where did ya’ll come from, he said when we hear a shot we go running towards the sound hoping someone missed.

Just then someone shot and that sucker took of towards that shot. Talk about feeling like I had a target on my back, I got the crap outta there.
Reminds me of catching fish, look up and you have 3-4 new friends standing next to you.

Familyguy

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank man for the info, I don’t want any ones gps coordinates, just some info on general areas. I will look into the controlled hunts though and I will continue to scout out areas around me. Hopefully I can find something worth while to hunt but sounds like public lands will be fairly barren.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you archery hunt, you'll have a lot more options, especially with our very short gun season that's even shorter for public land.

One thing to note, which seems obvious, so call me captain: you live in the metro area of the largest population in the state and every hunter in the city wants to hunt close by to maximize how much they can hunt.

Success on public land near okc is doable but you have to put in a lot more effort, get up earlier, go farther, stay later...

Best of luck in your search.

Latest posts

Top Bottom