Good public land for deer and Turkey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I literally did just that last year on my way to an area I was scouting. First deer ever. Also, my only. Hopefully this year I can change that.
I heard that he drove around dodging does until a buck tried to cross! 🤣

Joking aside, I give HoLeChit props for going out and trying to find a good public land place to hunt. He got out and put some boots on the ground and a boat in the water then asked questions and got answers/suggestions via private reply. Hope he's successful this year with a rifle!

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Joking aside, I give HoLeChit props for going out and trying to find a good public land place to hunt. He got out and put some boots on the ground and a boat in the water then asked questions and got answers/suggestions via private reply. Hope he's successful this year with a rifle!
Yep keep after it ive killed deer on public land !

travisstorma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to go out to various WMAs and look for somewhere secluded that might take a four wheel drive to get to - if you were allowed to use the road. I got tired of hunting and it looked like a pumpkin patch every direction you look when the sun came up. Now I usually just bow hunt. Hardly anyone out there then.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bowhunting is going to definitely be less crowded even with crossbows being allowed. I'd find me a good climber tree stand that's lightweight and find multiple places which you mark the coordinates. No flag tape. Consider downloading OnX Maps to your phone - great for knowing where the boundaries are as well as marking possible stand locations.

We've got lots of cedar trees so don't pass up possibly using a ground blind if the surroundings will brush it in really well. They make some that are fairly lightweight(not like my Double Bull).

Best of luck!

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score

I appreciate it, and hope that I can make it happen this year. I need to get out and put my camera out and do some looking around.... I was gonna do that last month and never did. Guess that's more motivation to get my transmission replaced.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 1st time I hunted public land I never saw a soul……until I shot my buck.

I looked up towards a fence and there were at least 6 hunters lined up watching me. I asked one of them where did ya’ll come from, he said when we hear a shot we go running towards the sound hoping someone missed.

Just then someone shot and that sucker took of towards that shot. Talk about feeling like I had a target on my back, I got the crap outta there.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 1st time I hunted public land I never saw a soul……until I shot my buck.

I looked up towards a fence and there were at least 6 hunters lined up watching me. I asked one of them where did ya’ll come from, he said when we hear a shot we go running towards the sound hoping someone missed.

Just then someone shot and that sucker took of towards that shot. Talk about feeling like I had a target on my back, I got the crap outta there.
People are Idiots

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I harvest many deer on public land and Turkeys until the wife told me she does not like those birds so much.
OK Bobcat and Coyote it is.

I’m in Edmond and would like to hunt locally
You said that above.
I am in Yukon and before that in Spencer and I usually drive well over 150 miles 1 way to get to a good public land hunting spot.
Minimum drive would be about 65 miles.

Local deer hunting to me means in Oklahoma somewhere.
My best fishing spot is 160 miles away.

Latest posts

Top Bottom