Saiga 12 in Competition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sig-man

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember, I'm a noob, so sorry if this is kinda redundant.

I went and watched the pistol/shotgun match at USSA two weeks ago. Got me interested in competing. About a year ago I got a Saiga 12 for the bedside. I haven't moded it like I would like yet. I owned for about 10 months before I put any rounds thru it (I'm the guy you would hear about that got arrested for shooting along the riverbank.).

So, my question is: Would I look like an idiot competing with my magazine fed Saiga in a shotgun course? Anyone else here compete with a Saiga? I have absolutely no illusions of grandeur when it comes to going up against the Benelli's, Mossy's and Remingtons. Just wondering how much I would stand out (I'm the guy that prefers to NOT be the center of attention.).

Thanks in advance.

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There are quite a few used in shotgun matches and 3-gun. The one downside besides the reliability of them, you will be shooting in open class at most matches.

M

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The one downside besides the reliability of them

M

How are they unreliable? That's the first I've heard about this aspect of Saigas...

Sig, if you want to avoid being the center of attention, make sure the metal retaining clip on the top of your magazine is firmly seated. It came off once on my 10-round mag, and I got a lot of looks and chuckles when ten shotgun shells flew every which way, most of them forward of the firing line :teehee:

SN13

New to the site!
Reaction score
Sig-man.

I compete using a Saiga 5.45x39 in rifle and a Saiga-12 in shotgun.

I regularly win my local Shotgun match. If you want good ideas for Saiga Mods, please go to Saiga-12.com and go to the forums. We have a Competition section setup and you can ask any and all questions there.

Mine has no "Reliability" issues. And any issues yours may have can be resolved with a dremel and some time.

ai567.photobucket.com_albums_ss116_SN13_DSC08569Large.jpg

ai567.photobucket.com_albums_ss116_SN13_S_12XDm1.jpg

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
How are they unreliable? That's the first I've heard about this aspect of Saigas...

Sig, if you want to avoid being the center of attention, make sure the metal retaining clip on the top of your magazine is firmly seated. It came off once on my 10-round mag, and I got a lot of looks and chuckles when ten shotgun shells flew every which way, most of them forward of the firing line :teehee:

Just about every one on the 3-gun trail has had them choke at some point. They are cool and if you get one that you can make run, they are a great idea. I just have seen way too many of them have FTF and FTE issues. Remember, in 3-gun we shoot 4-5 flats a month or more of shells.

Not going to get into the mine is better then yours conversation, the original poster just asked a question and I gave an honest, first hand opinion.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just about every one on the 3-gun trail has had them choke at some point. They are cool and if you get one that you can make run, they are a great idea. I just have seen way too many of them have FTF and FTE issues. Remember, in 3-gun we shoot 4-5 flats a month or more of shells.

They have a lot of issues with (or without in some cases) being broken in properly.

If you want to get one running properly and not have FTE or FTF issues you have to wear them in properly, otherwise lighter loads just won't have the OOMPH to cycle the action.

Most guys just get a lighter return spring, maybe polish up their moving parts a bit.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go do it and have fun. I attended a Hunter Ed seminar a couple of years ago and we spent the afternoon at a sporting clays range. I brought the only shotgun I had at the time, a Stoeger M2000. I was a little worried because even Stoeger doesn't recommend using light loads in it. But I went thru the course anyway and had a ball. Gun never missed a beat, and I stayed right there with a couple that looked like pros shooting Browning Synergy O/U's.

So don't worry about what you're carrying, just go have a blast!

Latest posts

Top Bottom