Samsung Captivate vs. Iphone 4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with DT there... one of the biggest things it has going for it is the number of FREE songs/videosringtones, etc., all of which cost on Apple. And, within a year or so, the number of apps, both free and pay, will blow away Apple. Apple is going to have to innovate at an incredibly faster rate than they have in the past if they don't want their iphone to be crushed into cult-only oblivion.

But the problem with "this upgrade is supposedly coming on this date" and "that upgrade is supposedly coming on that date" is that the devil is in the details - see the key words I bolded there.

You can blow away AT&T's crappy software and load Android's cleaner version and that takes care of all the bloatware.

I'm getting a Captivate pretty soon myself. I was a Symbian user for years and my wife's iPhone has taught me that Apple is anything but problem-free.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too was on symbian before this captivate, sure is nicer, lots to tinker with.
I was running a Nokia flip phone with symbian.
You can blow away AT&T's crappy software and load Android's cleaner version and that takes care of all the bloatware.

I'm getting a Captivate pretty soon myself. I was a Symbian user for years and my wife's iPhone has taught me that Apple is anything but problem-free.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not trying to high jack the TS post, but does anyone use the Captivate for corporate email on a Exchange server? If so, how do you like it?

I have 40 Blackberry users running on a BES and some are pushing hard for the iPhone. I won't use the iPhone, but looking into the Captivate.

The iphone has a section in it's mail setup for exchange accounts. Works fine. I'm hosted through Google Apps for EDU, so all of my smart phone users take care of themselves.

grphx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI, the Captivate GPS issue has been fixed. They pushed out an update(that can be applied over the air). 5min later and my GPS works like a champ again. Then again it's only been half a day of using it, and it takes a week before the GPS fails on new devices.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The issue with the Galaxy S phones taking forever to be tracked and then once they are, you're a mile and a half away from where the phone is showing you are should be fixed this month. Samsung has been working on an Over-The-Air push to correct this that was planned to come out this month. I haven't received anything on my T-Mobile Vibrant, but that was the plan. If you need GPS now, the Samsung is not for you because of this. I use GPS a couple to a few times a week and it's hit or miss, and there are a few tricks to get this to work, but who doesn't want their phone to work correctly right out of the box?

I'm an Android fanboy, I loved my G1 and I love my Vibrant. But I realize the iPhone has a lot going for it. You can't go wrong either way, but if you want my opinion? Go Android.

Oh, and 2.2 should be pushed this month as well... I'm still waiting.

My Captivate was updated this morning over the air. It did greatly improve the GPS, but it still is not quite up to a dedicated GPS. One thing the Captivate can take close up pictures without having to attach a lens to it like the Iphone.

Plus I hate Apple products. The idea that I cannot even change the battery and I have to use Itunes is a real turn off for me.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not trying to high jack the TS post, but does anyone use the Captivate for corporate email on a Exchange server? If so, how do you like it?

I have 40 Blackberry users running on a BES and some are pushing hard for the iPhone. I won't use the iPhone, but looking into the Captivate.

I don't connect to an Exchange server, but the update that I got today was supposed to correct some of the problems they were having. They also installed Quick Office for handling some of the Microsoft Office attachments.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too was on symbian before this captivate, sure is nicer, lots to tinker with.
I was running a Nokia flip phone with symbian.

Same here. I had a N-75 which started to die on me a month ago and I bought a Captivate. The update I got this morning really helped the GPS.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My friggin search button keeps pressing itself, anybody know anything about that? I thought at first, my clumbsy fingers were touching it when I hit the back button, but now it does it even when I'm only touching the screen, and nowhere near the search buttons.

How do you update this thing?

Latest posts

Top Bottom