Sand bags or standard rest? Which is better in your opinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which do you prefer when sighting in a rifle. Sandbags or rifle rest? Bipod is not an option.

Mainly just a discussion point on preference. I finally got around to putting a quality scope on a a rifle(Marlin 336). I went and got it close at H&H at lunch. Now I need to get out to Banner and go through the various brands of ammo I bought to find out which this rifle likes best. and Fine tune the scope.

I already own a set of sand bags that get the job done and have no immediate plans to buy a rest. How much of an advantage is the rifle rest over sand bags when sighting in a rifle?

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How much of an advantage is the rifle rest over sand bags when sighting in a rifle?

Depends entirely on you. I can shoot just as well supported off a table as I can from a rest, but it takes slightly longer for me to establish sight picture / stable shooting platform.

My buddies 336 is surprisingly accurate at 200 yards.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm hoping to find something that shoots very consistent at 100yds. The scope I put on is only a 2.5x fixed Leupold. I didn't see the need for a variable scope on this rifle.

My thoughts, If I can get good consistent groups at 100yds then the 200 yd mark will be within reason.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have tried all kinds of rests and like the heavy steel front rest with a sculpted sand bag and a separate rear sand bag the best. Some people like Lead Sleds, and as long as its heavy it will probably work fine, but those lightweight plastic rifle rests are not worth a darn.

Latest posts

Top Bottom