Saw some piggies in northern Kay County today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the old trap and whack en masse principle :rubhands:

Most of the trappers I know use the "trap and sell" principle.

I think trying to eliminate hogs is like trying to eliminate coyotes. A lost cause. I choose to see hogs as a new game animal (and kind of a dangerous one). There are a bunch on my deer lease near Davis. We shoot and eat them, but we aren't into slaughter or waste. I know that's legally okay, but since they seem to be here to stay, we are treating them like they belong. We have fenced them out of the deer feeders, and we are considering fencing some food plots, because they tear tham up real bad.

I am hoping to kill a big boar this winter so I can have a European mount for the wall, but otherwise we harvest eaters. They have eaten most of the rattlers and copperheads (seen two this whole year, one of each), apparently all the skunks, definitely all the quail eggs, but none of the armadillos. I really think they sould simply be seen as a new part of the environment.

I have witnessed a good bit of what I see as animal cruelty. One example is a guy who gutshoots them with a .22 pistol from his deer stands so they'll "go off and die." I am a long way from a PITA member (yes, I know how it's really spelled), but ugly or not, welcome or not, hogs feel pain just like a deer or a dog does.

Just another perspective. I do love to hog hunt, but don't think hunting ethics should be ignored. CB

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hahaha, it is a little enjoyable after fixing all the rooting in the pasture that they have destroyed.

It is kinda like skeet shootin, only you use a pig and a rifle! PULL!

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't see hogs as even a living animal. They are the devil, and I thank God every year we don't have them in our immediate area. If we ever get them (Geez, I hope not) I will be soliciting r00s7a's advice on how to make as many of them as possible not be alive anymore.

I think people seeing them as a new game animal is what caused the hog epidemic in the south. All these "hunting ranches" selling hog hunts. I know damn good and well we didn't end up with this many hogs as a result of what escaped from farmers. People wanted them there. The feral hog epidemic was directly caused by people trying to profit off "hog hunting".

MDC seems to agree. I love the "Shoot 'em on sight!" billboards they have.

Several counties south of I-44 have had feral hogs roaming the countryside since the days of open range. These populations were isolated and kept in check by local hunting efforts.

The situation took a wrong turn in the 1990s when hog hunting for recreation began to gain popularity. Groups started raising and promoting European wild boar as a form of alternative agriculture and for hunting on licensed shooting areas. It wasn’t long before many of these hogs escaped or were intentionally released on public land

http://mdc.mo.gov/landwater-care/animal-management/invasive-animal-management/feral-hogs/shoot-em-sight

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad and I were out driving around checking cattle this afternoon and saw a group of 6 or 7 young pigs running through a hay meadow. We were about 5 miles north east of Newkirk and maybe 3 miles west of the river. After deer season Im going to move some cameras around and try to get them on film. Im going to try to call the GW tomorrow and get a spotlight permit.

No need to spotlight. They will become more visible during the day as the nights get colder.

RCM

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
definitely they are a growing problem for farmers.. a herd just about destroyed 150 acre patch of wheat we put in.. we have done some trapping, and have some hunters who go out on the farm to shoot them.. but seems almost impossible to exterminate the problem..

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've been fortunate the past few months and have not had that many problems. I think the 60 or 70 we trapped during the summer put a dent in them, but that will be short lived. I'm kinda looking forward to the acorns drying up so they'll be looking for more groceries. Got a brand new trap and catch pen I am dying to try out. After deer season is over I'll probably give it a go round and see what happens.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not far.
If you want to set up an ambush, let me know.
Been up in that area and have seen the tracks, but no pigs.
We don't need those vermin in our area.:censored:

You are more than welcome to join us Dennis. It will be after rifle season but we are going to talk to the neighbors and then get some feeders and cameras out so we can pattern them then it will be hog killing time:fullauto:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are more than welcome to join us Dennis. It will be after rifle season but we are going to talk to the neighbors and then get some feeders and cameras out so we can pattern them then it will be hog killing time:fullauto:

Just let me know. I'm ready to thin the herd. I hate them getting started around here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom