Saw some piggies in northern Kay County today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad and I were out driving around checking cattle this afternoon and saw a group of 6 or 7 young pigs running through a hay meadow. We were about 5 miles north east of Newkirk and maybe 3 miles west of the river. After deer season Im going to move some cameras around and try to get them on film. Im going to try to call the GW tomorrow and get a spotlight permit.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad and I were out driving around checking cattle this afternoon and saw a group of 6 or 7 young pigs running through a hay meadow. We were about 5 miles north east of Newkirk and maybe 3 miles west of the river. After deer season Im going to move some cameras around and try to get them on film. Im going to try to call the GW tomorrow and get a spotlight permit.

Put a feeder up and a camera. Once they find their meal ticket I can pretty much guarantee they'll show up every day about the same time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I'm not far.
If you want to set up an ambush, let me know.
Been up in that area and have seen the tracks, but no pigs.
We don't need those vermin in our area.:censored:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I kill pigs too. Let me know if you need any help. I killed this one Monday evening. 30.06 at 94 yards
Entry just above the eye.
ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_Nov10boarB.jpg

Exit just below the ear.
ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_Nov10boarA.jpg

ai106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_Nov10boar.jpg

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the old trap and whack en masse principle :rubhands:

I'm quite the fan of this method too. Only thing you do by hunting them is knock out a few then the rest just move on, only to come back later. By trapping them you have a much better chance of removing the entire herd, or at least a great percentage of them. Don't get me wrong, I love shootin pigs upon sight, but if your goal is eradication, trapping is the only way to go.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm quite the fan of this method too. Only thing you do by hunting them is knock out a few then the rest just move on, only to come back later. By trapping them you have a much better chance of removing the entire herd, or at least a great percentage of them. Don't get me wrong, I love shootin pigs upon sight, but if your goal is eradication, trapping is the only way to go.

Plus, (at risk of sounding like a sick person), when they're all in the trap together, you can use fewer rounds to eliminate more :) My best is a 165 grain factory load .30-06 round thru 3 hogs. It's all about proper shot alignment :50cal:

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good Lord... I can't even what kind of bloody mess that was! Effecient though... I try to keep my traps as blood free as possible. First choice is to load them into a trailer or catch pen. That isn't always a possibility, so I use a little .22 pistol behind the ear. They drop like a rock and don't bleed much. If I am feeling really gamey, I'll open the door and get them out one by one to run the gauntlet! One last chance at freedom. If they can escape the rage from the ol Woodsmaster 742 30.06 they are granted a pardon. To this date no one has received a pardon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom