School me / Recommend me a Weapon Light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My G17 runs an X300U (RDS equipped). My 31C's run a TLR-1HL. My G19 runs a TLR-7A (RDS equipped). My other G19 runs an XC1. All four are great lights, with different features, brightness, throws, you just need to figure out what you like, what you need it for, etc.

I believe every gun needs a light, though some will disagree with that. Someone mentioned that when the light is on, they know where you're at and where to shoot. True to a point, it takes practice to understand how to shoot with a light, meaning when to turn it on and off, how to turn it on and off quickly, moving off the X after firing a shot with a light, etc. The same argument can be made with someone holding a flashlight in their hand, holding it above their head at an angle, Harris or FBI techniques, etc. I'd prefer to have a solid two hand grip on a pistol than one hand. I can make a faster, more accurate shot with a faster follow up shot on target than I can with one hand, turn my light off after a few shots, move off the X and re-engage.

Also night sights were mentioned. Don't waste your time or breath on night sights. The only reason I run night sights is because I'm forced to due to policy. If you're using your night sights to shoot at night, how the heck have you identified your target? I run thin front, wide rear, blacked out sights. Makes for quick identification of iron sights when using your WML (if you're not running an RDS).

So to answer your question, I like the TLR-7A with high switch for my G19. It sits flush with the bbl, I like the activation function, buttons are precise and light is bright with good flood and throw, it doesn't overpower my RDS, only uses one CR123 and is decently priced. The only downfall is finding a good holster for it, but holster recommendations are another topic of discussion. LOL.

Good luck with your decision, no matter what you decide to go with, don't go cheap...

Attachments

• BCE1014F-8B98-4E54-AE72-F71145B801F1.jpeg
    BCE1014F-8B98-4E54-AE72-F71145B801F1.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a light junkie and have Lord knows how many handheld lights. I also have X-300s (3) X600's (2) TLR-1's (2) TLR-6's (2) a TLR-3, an OLight and a TLR-7A.

For the G-19 my hands down favorite is the TLR-7A with the high switch option. The rear switches are superb and they offer a contour remote switch if you prefer that. I also really like the lock-out option on the bezel if you know you don't want it coming on.

https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/index/tlr-7a
https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/index/tlr-7a-contour-remote
G19.jpg

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have used

Inforce
Olight
Streamlight
Surefire
Modlite

All have worked very well for me, with Modlite being by far the best but definitely expensive. However I prefer not having to buy disposable batteries. That being said, it's hard to go wrong with Streamlight if you have budget in mind and it will fit your G19 much better if you get the TLR7 like others have recommended.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my thought......................
I actually don't like the idea of having a light attached to my gun. Reason.............
If my light is lighting up a person/thing that means my gun is pointed at it. If bad guy has a gun and shoots at the light that means he/she is going to hit me. I like having a light separate from the gun. If it happens to be a loved one you are pointing the light/gun at that could end tragically. Gun in strong hand, and light in off/weak hand. If they shoot at the light the worst that would happen is the weak hand being injured. My .02
I agree with you golddigger. Everything you said is why I went that direction too . I actually carry 2 different Surefire lights. One is the very small but bright Sidekick attached to my keyring. The other is the really nice Stilleto. It is flat and clips nicely to my pocket much like a knife.

https://www.amazon.com/SureFire-Sti...d=1640629406&sprefix=surefire,aps,174&sr=8-14

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a streamlight on my 19X and it’s always worked great. It does take away the night sights though. But that is the problem (as was said earlier) with WML’s. I have a streamlight ProTac on one AR and it’s great as well. I also have an Olight Odin and it’s been very good so far as well. I don’t think you can go wrong with either. I know surefire makes great lights but they are also more expensive. I think streamlight is just as good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom