Scope Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeman3519

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for a scope to put on my DPMS LR-308 classic. I have been looking around and can't find something with all my picky requirements. Maybe someone here can.

Here is what I would like to see in this scope
1. Wide range of magnification (eg. 1.8-10x or 2.5-?)
2. First focal plane reticle
3. Illuminated mil or mil dot reticle
4. Exposed target turrets with .1mil adjustments
5. Side parallax adjustment
6. $1000 or less price tag

The closest I can come up with is the Vortex Viper PST FFP 4-16x50 but I want something with slightly lower magnification. They make a 2.5-10 but it's not a first focal plane reticle. Help...

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Nightforce is great but doesn't make his price requirements. If he's willing to buy used or would up his bid by 2 or 3 hundred dollars it's doable though. I have several Nightforce scopes and can highly recommend them.

SevenSixTwo

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Nightforce is great but doesn't make his price requirements. If he's willing to buy used or would up his bid by 2 or 3 hundred dollars it's doable though. I have several Nightforce scopes and can highly recommend them.

This - but I don't know that I'd go to Mil-knobs unless you plan on using the metric system - Centimeters are easier with Mils than inches are (to me anyways).

If not, my second choice would be a Vortex Viper PST (although, I've heard good things about the IOR). The Falcon is a good choice for the money, but if I had $1000, I'd try and save up a few hundred more and pick up the NightForce.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for a scope to put on my DPMS LR-308 classic. I have been looking around and can't find something with all my picky requirements. Maybe someone here can.

Here is what I would like to see in this scope
1. Wide range of magnification (eg. 1.8-10x or 2.5-?)
2. First focal plane reticle
3. Illuminated mil or mil dot reticle
4. Exposed target turrets with .1mil adjustments
5. Side parallax adjustment
6. $1000 or less price tag

The closest I can come up with is the Vortex Viper PST FFP 4-16x50 but I want something with slightly lower magnification. They make a 2.5-10 but it's not a first focal plane reticle. Help...

You want a lot of scope that can perform all the neat tricks and be easy on the budget. I'm not sure that anyone builds such a scope. I think you are going to have to compromise somewhere. Figure out what you'll really be doing with the rifle/scope combination.

When you are talking about a 5 or 6 fold magnification, I think your choices are more limited on manufacturers. Those manufactures will be higher end which means more expensive.

joeman3519

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know I'm asking for a lot of scope for the money. I have checked all the obvious (USO, Nightforc, S&B, etc), but was wondering if I had missed any small obscure or up and comming companies. The IOR is very much to my liking thanks for the link.

Latest posts

Top Bottom