SDA and narcotics/alcohol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cole2534

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
How do legal narcotics and alcohol play into the OK SDA?

My reason for asking is this - A while back my mom had foot surgery and was laid up at home on pain meds for a few days. One of these days our neighbors house, just across the street, was burglarized.

This got me thinking, what if her home had been invaded? It's unlikely she would have been able to do anything, and that scares me. But, it also begs the question of what would happen had she shot a perp during a B&E.

Also, what if I'm having a glass or bottle of wine at home and the same thing happens?

Am we now liable because our heads were less than perfectly clear (albeit for two distinctly different reasons)?

If this has been covered before please direct me to that thread(s).

TIA

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The SDA has no bearing on what happens inside your home.

That said, guns and booze / pills don't mix.

THAT said, home invasion might help them mix. I don'tsee how one could be faulted for retrieving their means of defense in a home invasion. Good time to have a quick-access safe.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Home defense and the SDA do not equal the same thing. If you're drunk off your ass or under prescription narcotics in your own home and home invaders break down your door intent on robbing you at gunpoint, you're still justified in shooting their asses off.

In public with an SDA permit, you need to avoid alcohol. Prescription painkillers taken under a Dr.'s orders are ok so long as they do not effect judgement. If you aren't safe to drive, you shouldn't have the gun on.

The real problem would come if you were involved in a marginal shoot and were under the influence of a scheduled drug or alcohol (or a mood altering drug prescribed for something like depression). Then they're going to be much more likely to prosecute. If it's a cut and dried righteous shoot, you shouldn't have a problem under most any circumstance.

Cole2534

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ya, I wrote SDA earlier, but I'm more thinking more along the lines of the 'make my day law.'

I realize that they do not mix in standard circumstances, but we can't pick when someone kicks in our door.

Retrieving the firearm isn't the issue, I'm more looking at what would happen afterward. Would the DA be concerned with the legitimate use of force were someone, legally of course, under some influence at the time of said event?

Or is it still a clean cut matter since we were within the law regarding the drugs/booze?

Latest posts

Top Bottom