Self checkout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really hate to be rude to those people just trying to do their job, but I just ignore them and keep walking.

Nope. I ain't playing. I went to the Neighborhood Mart recently and took my basket full of stuff up front to check out. Not a single checker was at a register. 4 of them were standing over to the side gossiping and watching all the customers at the self-checkout. I pushed my basket over to them, stopped, smiled and said have a nice day. They were like oh you can check yourself out over there. I was like Nope, nope *****. I don't work for Sam. And my money spends EVERYWHERE. Later gator! The look on their faces! Lol nope. I ain't doing it.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope. I ain't playing. I went to the Neighborhood Mart recently and took my basket full of stuff up front to check out. Not a single checker was at a register. 4 of them were standing over to the side gossiping and watching all the customers at the self-checkout. I pushed my basket over to them, stopped, smiled and said have a nice day. They were like oh you can check yourself out over there. I was like Nope, nope *****. I don't work for Sam. And my money spends EVERYWHERE. Later gator! The look on their faces! Lol nope. I ain't doing it.
Dang, you're one grumpy old man, That gurl!! lol

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with you, but I also think pay is a significant part of the equation.
I've stated several times on this forum, the chit hole I worked for, has hired 25 people EVERY Monday (except holidays) this year. Around 800 new hires, 88 are still there.

My grandson hired in at 19 yo, just completed 2 years and is making $31.50 an hour and all the overtime he chooses to work. There were 16 in his group of new hires. 3 made the 2 year anniversary.

I'm pretty sure, money wasn't why they left. Other jobs, money may be the issue, but having a 90% turnover (80% leave within 2 months) is more than a money issue.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had more than a few jobs growing up that paid "less than enough to barely get by". That did not have any effect on the effort I put forth though, my pride in doing the best job I could prevented me from doing any less than 100% no matter what the pay was.
Same here. And it was usually hard, manual work. Always a competition against the other guys over how fast one could shovel out a trailer, haul enough cullet to fill a bin, etc..

And after being in the workforce for over 40 years, I can see that the only one I did it for was me. Companies give zero fxs about employees, loyalty means zip, you work your ass off for an attaboy - that doesn't spend very well at the grocery store.

I do my job and sleep just fine, but if anyone is under the illusion that 100% from you means 100% from your employer, you have a lot to learn. (with some exceptions of course)

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on the job, how long they've been there, and their performance. For a person scanning groceries I would start them at 10 bucks an hour with quarterly increases. Those who performed well and wanted more responsibility would move into supervison and be paid more. Those who didn't come to work and didn't meet expectations would be fired.
Then you don't have anyone in between those, that can do the cash registers.

Last edited:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've stated several times on this forum, the chit hole I worked for, has hired 25 people EVERY Monday (except holidays) this year. Around 800 new hires, 88 are still there.

My grandson hired in at 19 yo, just completed 2 years and is making $31.50 an hour and all the overtime he chooses to work. There were 16 in his group of new hires. 3 made the 2 year anniversary.

I'm pretty sure, money wasn't why they left. Other jobs, money may be the issue, but having a 90% turnover (80% leave within 2 months) is more than a money issue.
31.50!
Obviously overpaid, according to some.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same here. And it was usually hard, manual work. Always a competition against the other guys over how fast one could shovel out a trailer, haul enough cullet to fill a bin, etc..

And after being in the workforce for over 40 years, I can see that the only one I did it for was me. Companies give zero fxs about employees, loyalty means zip, you work your ass off for an attaboy - that doesn't spend very well at the grocery store.

I do my job and sleep just fine, but if anyone is under the illusion that 100% from you means 100% from your employer, you have a lot to learn. (with some exceptions of course)
Never was under that illusion. Not only did I know better, it was usually pretty obvious.

Jeff Rasberry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Typically the only register staffed with a real person now is in the lumber section.

Fun fact: Walmart spent half a billion dollars on self checkout anti theft tech so that they didn’t have to hire extra cashiers.
If everyone would go to these stores with self checkout and load up carts then leave them sitting in front of the checkout, they might hire some cashier's

Latest posts

Top Bottom