Self checkout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did anyone ever consider the possibility that because of HUGE losses due to shoplifting, companies have had to go to using the less expensive self-checkout option rather than staying with paid cashiers, in order to remain profitable? If you hate having to use self-checkout then blame the shoplifters that the judicial system no longer bothers to prosecute.

Then why has the losses in stores with self-checkouts skyrocketed?? Thieves are gonna thieve. That does not mean I should scan and bag my own groceries. Yes, this is the hill I will die on. It's bad enough I have to pump my own gas. 😠

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 419625
That shelf area where you put your items after you've scanned them is a scale. Try putting something on there without scanning it and you will most likely be informed (by that machine) to remove the item/scan the item first. It also alerts the person overseeing the self-checkout area that something was not scanned.

Ha! Try scanning a high value / low weight item! ie, a $8 fishing lurers. $4 foam bobbers. Scale doesn't respond, but that NON-CASHIER HAWK sure does.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
The self checkout guy at Costco was flabbergasted when I asked for a discount if I switched to the self checkout line. He said no, and was really confused. I told him I would rather stand in my long line and have someone else check me out if I’m paying full price.
That'll show em.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same here. And it was usually hard, manual work. Always a competition against the other guys over how fast one could shovel out a trailer, haul enough cullet to fill a bin, etc..

And after being in the workforce for over 40 years, I can see that the only one I did it for was me. Companies give zero fxs about employees, loyalty means zip, you work your ass off for an attaboy - that doesn't spend very well at the grocery store.

I do my job and sleep just fine, but if anyone is under the illusion that 100% from you means 100% from your employer, you have a lot to learn. (with some exceptions of course)
So now you know why younger generations of workers are not playing the 'fool' like so many of us did during our working careers. Kids these days refuse to be 'slaves' to the corporation!
So many on here bad-mouth those that don't bust their azz or have absolute employee loyalty to their boss . . . yet at the same time complain how badly they themselves were treated by their employer or wonder if the now broken body they have was worth the effort.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If everyone would go to these stores with self checkout and load up carts then leave them sitting in front of the checkout, they might hire some cashier's
Nope! But what they will do is hire more people to put the items back on the shelf that some dipsheet walked-off and left standing, especially if those items are refrigerated or frozen.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 419625
That shelf area where you put your items after you've scanned them is a scale. Try putting something on there without scanning it and you will most likely be informed (by that machine) to remove the item/scan the item first. It also alerts the person overseeing the self-checkout area that something was not scanned.

Newer self-checkout machines can now tell the difference between items that need to be scanned (stuff you want to purchase) and items that do not need to be scanned (personal phone, car keys, purse, etc.) that were placed in the bagging area.

(I worked part-time at Home Depot for a couple of years as a cashier, to include monitoring self-checkout which was installed to cut labor expenses)
The thing is I DID scan the items (notice I used the plural form of the word). I asked the lady who kept coming over if I was doing something wrong and she said no, it's a new system and they are still working the bugs out. Bottom line for Reasor's is, and especially after you described how the system works, (got way too many damn machines watching our every move) I'll just wait in line and let granny check me out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom