Self Defense Shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brennan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking for a self defense shotgun. I would like to keep it around $250. I want wood furniture ext shot tube. Summit Gun Broker has a Mossberg riot gun 8 shot for $200. And CDNN has a Charles Daily 5 +1 shot 18 1/2 barrel for $180 was $274. I would like to get one that I can put choke tubes in or have it fitted to choke tubes. I have a Remington 870 that I guess that I could buy a short 1812" barrel for.

Cheepshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a self defense shotgun, why limit yourself to wood stocks and why do you need choke tubes?

For a multipurpose pump, the another Rem 870 or Mossberg 500 are both great choices that you can get cheap at Wal-Mart, or your favorite local gun shop.

Or, like you said, another barrel for your existing 870.

Jpt

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cheapest fix is just buy a riot barrel for your 870 or buy an older barrel and cut it back. You can then have it backbored for screw in chokes.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't really need (or want) choke tubes on a defense shotgun. If you're putting buckshot or slugs through it, you want a cylinder choke. You should only be using buckshot (or maybe slugs, but that's less desirable unless you anticipate shooting past 50 yards for some reason) for home defense.

I saw a training video from Front Sight (I think) that claimed that a steady diet of buckshot and slugs will tear up choke tubes. As in, the tubes eventually end up going downrange with the shot. Make of that what you will.

brennan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a self defense shotgun, why limit yourself to wood stocks and why do you need choke tubes?

For a multipurpose pump, the another Rem 870 or Mossberg 500 are both great choices that you can get cheap at Wal-Mart, or your favorite local gun shop.

Or, like you said, another barrel for your existing 870.

Jpt

I just prefer wood furniture.

Stingray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with those who recommend buying a barrel for your existing 870, unless you're just looking for an excuse to pick up another scattergun. Far be it from me to pass judgment if that's the case. ;)

Where is a good place to buy a 18 1/2" barrel.

Mossberg makes an 18 1/2" barrel for the 870, but whatever you do DO NOT ORDER DIRECTLY FROM MOSSBERG! I gave up on them shipping mine after ten days. No communication from them at all about the shipping delay. The customer service person I talked to couldn't have cared less about my order or my problem. This is the worst company I've had to deal with in ages. I canceled my order and as a result of this experience, I will never own a Mossberg product.

I'm told Academy sells 18 1/2" barrels for the 870, but I haven't had a chance to check & see yet.

-S

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a 21" turkey barrel with threaded chokes: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=399781

You might be able to find one a bit cheaper, but this would do what you want in one quick purchase. You should be able to use your existing remington choke tubes. For HD, I'd recommend Improved Cylinder for general buckshot and slug use. IC would be good for quail hunting as well. This one comes with a turkey choke; that's worth $20-$30 by itself.

Another option very close to what you're wanting: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=516311, but it's only $30 cheaper than the vent rib turkey barrel and you probably already have a modifed choke tube (like this one comes with).

EDIT: final thought, I'd probably buy the mossberg with the extended mag tube and dedicate it to HD work. By choosing the brand and type of buckshot, you can control how much it spreads (or doesn't) even with a fixed cylinder choke. That assumes your current 870 would be at least OK for turkey hunting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom