Selling a gun with a pending felony?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He is legally fine to possess and sell guns. He is innocent of the crime he is charged with unless and until he is convicted. Also, felons can legally sell guns all they want... they just can't legally possess them.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He was never told he couldn't have one and considering he isn't a felon yet it should be okay.

Are you sure? Is he on any sort of "pre-trial release"? I've worked probation/pre-trial release in a couple of counties and one of the conditions of pre-trial release, along with no drugs/alcohol is no access to firearms, especially with a violent felony. Those release agreements have the force of a judge's order/state law behind them.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless a judge sets it as a pretrial condition for bail, possession is not an issue prior to conviction. I know more than one criminal attorney who have been known to store firearms for those whose pretrial conditions require temporarily giving up possession in exchange for bail. At least one of them also takes firearms as partial payment for services rendered. :)

I also know of one instance where a felon upon release from federal prison was allowed by BATFE to transfer an NFA item to a Class III dealer, that he still had papered to him. Yes, BATFE was the arresting agency and they didn't even bother to relieve him of his registered NFA items. :rolleyes2

Latest posts

Top Bottom