Senator tries to disarm sheriffs at Oklahoma state capital

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree.

Wrong. Active law enforcement officers are authorized to enter any government facility armed except detention facilities. In this case, there is no "off duty". Besides, elected sheriffs don't clock in and out. For all intents and purposes, they were on duty and representing their jurisdictions.

Absolutely. There are many such instances.

If they were legally exercising their rights in accordance with SDA law, I would. We need to change that law, not dumb down everything else.

I don't see that posted or linked anywhere in this thread. Please provide the reference? Also, could the report be in error? Was this "fact" confirmed by the 40 sheriffs?

Given the way state law is written, county sheriffs authority is statewide.

Shall we have a shootoff? ;)

Statistics usually serve their masters. In this case it is apples to oranges. I'm in the camp that Oklahoma Peace Officers (at least that's what is printed on my CLEET card) are citizens who have been granted special powers. Simply put, you cannot turn me away if I am performing official duties like you could a non-commissioned citizen. Otherwise, no special exemptions exist and this is still America, there are no "different classes".

Incorrect. when performing security duties for private pay, they are selling their security services. Their authority flows from the law and whatever barriers are in effect (if any) when they are in a non-pay status apply equally when they are being paid by a private entity. Words do matter if you want to correctly state your case. :)

All said, please keep in mind that many of these sheriffs are the very same ones who have sworn to stand between you and the enforcement of unconstitutional laws. Unlike many politically appointed police chiefs, they are elected by and directly responsible to the voters. :)

We NEED to know the name of that state senator and should have a right to their name. We should be flooding his or her office with our contempt! :(

Well said.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
All you Internet tough guys. I'm certain Jerry could, although it might be closer than he thinks and if we are talking about multigun disciplines, then I'd put even money on myself. Still though, I originally said 90%. I didn't say I was the best shooter in the history of the planet. And besides, the point wasn't about how good I am, it was how poor 90% of the LEO's out there actually are with handling their weapons. Don't turn this into a pissing contest.

Speaking of internet tough guys....

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't see Dr JJ coming across as any "tough guy".

Thank you, Dennis. I certainly wasn't trying to. If I did, I apologize. Again, my point was that just because you're LEO doesn't mean you're highly skilled with a weapon and it doesn't mean you're any better with a weapon or have better judgment of when to use said weapon than any ordinary citizen. As I said, there are multiple studies which support that claim.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you, Dennis. I certainly wasn't trying to. If I did, I apologize. Again, my point was that just because you're LEO doesn't mean you're highly skilled with a weapon and it doesn't mean you're any better with a weapon or have better judgment of when to use said weapon than any ordinary citizen. As I said, there are multiple studies which support that claim.

Yes there are.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Surely, somebody on this forum knows somebody in the legislature that can name the Senator in question?

Good grief, we can search out the most miniscule facts in every other discussion to make our points.

None of the news organizations reporting the name? Any of our lobbyist that champion the 2A check in on this?

I've been searching, but I'm not finding a name.

77 Counties and by appearance 40 of them were represented. Pretty good odds of guessing who to call. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom