Senator tries to disarm sheriffs at Oklahoma state capital

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At least we are finding out what the duty's of the office are.

Now we need to find out if he can legally eject a commissioned officer of the law.

Can't find anything specifically denoting authority, but here's a listing for a job opening...

"The Oklahoma House of Representatives is currently seeking a Session-Only Sergeant-at-Arms. Duties include enforcement of security regulations and House rules, and assist with evacuation plan in event of a disaster. Must possess ability to lift up to 25 pounds, to walk up and down stairs in the performance of the job, to stand for minimum of 30 minutes at a time, and follow verbal instructions from the Chief Sergeant-at-Arms. Candidate must have ability to work courteously and professionally with others. Basic knowledge of state government and the legislative process and terminology is preferred."

http://jobs.ok.gov/OK/sup/bulpreview.asp?R1=140310&R2=UNCG&R3=04

DFarcher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of you are making this into something its not which is normal for this forum. LEOs are allowed to wear their firearms in the capitol building. Senate rules do not allow firearms in the Senate chamber which includes the gallery. This rule of course can be waived but in theory prior arrangements are supposed to be made. The Sergeant at Arms was simply doing his job which is enforcing senate rules. No one attempted to disarm anyone, after a brief discussion the sheriffs were allowed back in the gallery with their weapons though some had already left the building. The SAA may have handled the situation poorly, also showed some balls for trying to do his job as he understood it. Nothing happened anyone needs to get all butt hurt about.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All of you are making this into something its not which is normal for this forum. LEOs are allowed to wear their firearms in the capitol building. Senate rules do not allow firearms in the Senate chamber which includes the gallery. This rule of course can be waived but in theory prior arrangements are supposed to be made. The Sergeant at Arms was simply doing his job which is enforcing senate rules. No one attempted to disarm anyone, after a brief discussion the sheriffs were allowed back in the gallery with their weapons though some had already left the building. The SAA may have handled the situation poorly, also showed some balls for trying to do his job as he understood it. Nothing happened anyone needs to get all butt hurt about.

Really? Nothing to worry about here?
Weapons allowed in the HOR, but not in the Senate? What makes the Senate "special"?

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing happened anyone needs to get all butt hurt about.

Personally, I think that any day an ordinary citizen can't carry a weapon to any and every place they have legal right to be at from the time the leave their house until they return is plenty to get butt hurt at. A legislative body inviting the CLEO of the counties of the state for a meet and greet and then having the adult equivalent of a page ask them to disarm shows a pretty big disconnect, which is par for the course.

DFarcher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really? Nothing to worry about here?
Weapons allowed in the HOR, but not in the Senate? What makes the Senate "special"?

The Senates rule is okay with me. 99% of Americans now and since the beginning of time would agree that the tradition of not bringing weapons into the rooms where the rules are made is a good idea. I realize this forum is made up of the other 1% so bash away.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Senates rule is okay with me. 99% of Americans now and since the beginning of time would agree that the tradition of not bringing weapons into the rooms where the rules are made is a good idea. I realize this forum is made up of the other 1% so bash away.

Really? We can get a 1%'r tattoo now because we are on OSA? Seriously?

So, your on the gun control side?

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yeah, I'm sure the Continental Army stacked arms before having a rule making session.

Latest posts

Top Bottom