Service 4WD message

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wager in the manual it states to actuate the 4wd system every month for a few miles. My Tundra states such. I did not know it was needed till the Tundra, as I have always actuated the 4wd systems every couple months anyways when in long periods of non use.
I think the issue is she has left it in auto. So it determines if it needs 4WD or not. I told her to leave it in 2wd after she called me. It’s stuck in 4WD now. I’m hoping it’s the connector like mentioned above.

She has one of those monthly subscription for car washes. I bet there’s water infiltration into that poorly designed connector.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Normal brake pad wear will cause the brake fluid to drop. The thinner the brake pad the more the caliper piston extends which drops the fluid in the reservoir. I’m having her check that.
You beat me to it before I got back here. When you change pads, if you kept it all the way topped up its gonna be a mess when you change them. The master cylinder will overflow when you push that piston back in. Ask me how I know... :lookaroun

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wager in the manual it states to actuate the 4wd system every month for a few miles. My Tundra states such. I did not know it was needed till the Tundra, as I have always actuated the 4wd systems every couple months anyways when in long periods of non use.
Yep. I exercise mine a few times a year. It keeps the fluids on stuff that needs it and works the solenoids.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. I exercise mine a few times a year. It keeps the fluids on stuff that needs it and works the solenoids.

I have done this to all my 4 wheel drive ones. Even the ones that had Lock Out Hubs. I am old and I had an old man tell me to do this when I was a young man, I have set up gears and lockers years ago and I like the idea of running them if they don’t get used much. Most of mine I farmed with there were still times I would lock them in during summer. And these new electronic engagements need it even more.

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 07 Silverado did the same thing. Turned out to be a bad ground. It had worked itself loose just under the drivers side door.

On my FILs 2015 it was the actuator.

That message is pretty useless without an OBD2. That will tell you a more specific code. Fun fact, the AutoZone is back to giving you a free diagnosis.

Car washes are the WORST.

Latest posts

Top Bottom