Setting up Hornady FL sizing die

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rmitch223

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to reloading. I'm getting ready to start reloading .243 for my Rem. 700 SPS V.

My question is that I see a lot of people setting up there sizing die by raising the ram and turning in the sizing die until it touches the shell holder then lowering the ram and turning in the sizing die another 1/8 to 1/4 turn. I recently took a local NRA certified reloading class and the instructor suggested this method but does not have experience with the Hornady dies I will be using.

In the instructions that come with the Hornady dies it says to screw the die down until it touches the shell holder when the ram is at its highest position without camming over them lower the ram and tighten the lock ring and its set.

Which way do I need to setup my die for proper resizing to insure a safe and accurate headspace?

Thanks,

Ryan

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I would follow the directions that come with your dies. RCBC dies did, haven't bought any in long time, come with a small square of thin cardboard. With the shellholder raised, you placed the cardboard on the shell holder, then ran the die down to the cardboard. I rarely full length size any rifle cartidges anymore, and just neck size, but I only shoot bolt and single shot rifles too.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If ammo is rifle specific - you can actually back the FL die half a turn and make it a Neck Size die.
Touching the shell holder will generally get you ammo that chambers in all standard rifles; if you have precision mic - you can actually tailor the shoulder bump.

Craig3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always read to follow instructions that came with the item as the manufacturer has tested their product. However, like was previously mentioned you can adjust things specifically to your chambers if you have certain tools to measure and adjust dies.

Rmitch223

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the shoulder bump can be measured with a headspace gauge that attaches to digital calipers correct?

I started resizing 10 cases last week when I got a case stuck in the resizing die. I was using Hornady one shot case lube that I didnt let dry long enough and the 11th case got stuck in the die. The die is currently at hornady having the case removed and the die inspected and polished.

Meanwhile I tried chambering the cases I sized. They all were very tight and it was fairly hard to close the bolt. Im assuming that because of lack of lubricant the neck expander pulled the shoulder up when the ram was lowering. I chambered a brand new unsized brass no problem, so I'm thinking I either set up the FL die incorrectly or like I said the neck expander pulled the shoulder up due to lack of lubrication. Im really not sure.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the shoulder bump can be measured with a headspace gauge that attaches to digital calipers correct?

Yes.

Depending on what I am reloading for, I set the shoulder back .002" from its fired dimension. In a bolt gun, I would recommend neck sizing only unless you are using the brass in multiple weapons. When the round becomes hard to chamber after multiple firings, then I would set the shoulder back about .002"

Rmitch223

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes.

Depending on what I am reloading for, I set the shoulder back .002" from its fired dimension. In a bolt gun, I would recommend neck sizing only unless you are using the brass in multiple weapons. When the round becomes hard to chamber after multiple firings, then I would set the shoulder back about .002"

What about new brass? What dimension should the headspace be set to when sizing? Min SAAMI spec? Or the highlighted dimension is the attached pic?

243SAAMISpec.jpg

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
New brass is typically already set to a dimension that is within SAAMI specifications. There is really not a whole lot you can do with it until it has been fired in your chamber. If the case mouths are round and not damaged, I won't typically bother sizing it on the first firing in a bolt gun. Having a Wilson type case guage really helps in this situation. If you drop it in the guage and it is within specifications, you can simply load and go.

I also recommend removal of the expander ball in the die. You can actually size the shoulder properly, but then drag it back out when the expander is pulled through the neck if the case mouths are not lubricated properly.

I didn't mention in my previous post but if you are reloading for a gas gun, make sure you set the shoulder back at least .004-6" for reliable cycling and chambering. For gas guns, I always run it through a FL size die before loading new brass. This is more for my own piece of mind than for absolute necessity.

Latest posts

Top Bottom