Several bills move forward in state legislature

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not 100% on the colleges setting their own. I don't think they should have that authority if they're a public institution.

But glad to see the others.

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HB2617--removing non-secured public buildings from prohibited places list, passed House 90-0;

This bill rocks! I am surprised it got passed unanimously. Though our lawmakers don't actually analyze what they are voting on, so a well crafted change can help ease things through. The key change in this bill is the addition of this statement, "....that has a security checkpoint for the detection of weapons..." . Anyone casually reading this would likely think, "hmm, security checkpoint, sounds good." The other key changes are the strategic addition of the word "structure", and the removal of the administrative fine.

http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2013-14 FLR/HFLR/HB2617 HFLR.PDF

Hopefully this will ease through the Senate. There is a similar Senate Bill SB1264. Though it has some strange changes in the parking areas that hopefully will get corrected.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not 100% on the colleges setting their own. I don't think they should have that authority if they're a public institution.

It's in opposition to the current system where the college president determines who can and can't carry. Which requires a letter from the president which you must have with you at all times. The policy would eliminate the need to have the letter with you. i.e. Handgun License would be sufficient.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I think it's a step in the right direction. It's slightly easing the requirement, which hopefully will be followed by even more easing.

mbalexander

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure I could probably find it, but it's easier to just ask.:hot:
Tell me how the law regarding carrying at private schools has gone?
Was that part of some of the legislation in November.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

In reading through the changes to this bill, I must say I am very disappointed in it. The original version stated that the campus must approve carrying for those with a permit, the new version is just the "may set their own policy". While I think it is an improvement, I see VERY little chance any college will actually permit carry in Oklahoma.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)

OU is not a public institution (although it receives public revenue), it's a privately-owned university. As are several of the other colleges and universities in our state. OSU, however, is a state-chartered university an therefore is a public institution.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/university-of-oklahoma-3184
OU is not a public institution (although ihttp://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/university-of-oklahoma-3184 receives public revenue), it's a privately-owned university. As are several of the other colleges and universities in our state. OSU, however, is a state-chartered university an therefore is a public institution.

Who is OU owned by? I have never heard this before.

Edit to add: Everything I have found states OU is a public university.

Latest posts

Top Bottom