Shameless request. Marine, Son, Hunting, Coping, etc?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, I'm not begging, I love this site. I don't post a ton but I get a ton of information from here. When I can't find an answer, my wife says post to "that shooting thingy." I have had answers for training and medical problems with dogs, building an AR, bought silver from a few members, gave a few things away, obtained a legal referral and had a member fix my A/C unit twice (Thanks JB Books and RichardA76).

I still have one son at home (19 yrs old). He is a great kid with a great work ethic. He decided to enlist in the Marines and leaves in December. When he was smaller, I took him coyote and deer hunting when I had a place close by and where we could hunt the morning or evening. As he got older, I lost my hunting spot and we quit going. We still get to shoot every once in a while and he is very proficient.

Here is my quandry....I am starting to hear the song "the cat's in the cradle" (which I hate) and it's getting louder. Also, I have a new grandson from my oldest boy and an really starting to feel the urge to retire. Priorities are changing fast. I had a hard time when my son enlisted knowing he was leaving the nest. Not only the nest, but the state!

I would like to take him hunting again this fall before he leaves. Before I spend hours on the internet trying to find a place, I thought I would start here for advice. Please PM me if you have information where I could take him or ideas on what to do. If you have a place, I would be happy to pay a reasonable trespass fee and we would leave the place the way we found it. Dove, deer, coyote, earthworms, fishing....anything.

I had to quit thinking about doing something, and doing it. This is my first step.... Damn song is getting louder!!! PM me please.

Fish on

Marksman
Reaction score
What a wonderful thing your doing. We live down south of Ada and hunt on my ex husbands family farm. Wished I could help you find a place to hunt. Hope you do. Proud of your son going into the Military for our Country.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try out public land? Or just walking up to ol farmer brown and ask? Hell, I think squirrel is still in season, I doubt you'll be bumping elbows with anyone trying for them tree rats.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any public hunting land now should be good for squirrels..They have started cutting pecans and we sure seem to have a big pecan crop..Find you some nut trees on public hunting land and just set and watch..Probably need to do this before deer season starts..

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Good on you!!

I've listened to that song a lot.

My father passed away a couple years ago, so my chance of doing that kind of stuff with him is gone.

I would help if I had the land.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been noticing a lot of doves on the power lines. The state used to have leased land years ago. I went to a place west of Wayne on time that had trucks parked everywhere. Was really a decent hunt as all the hunters shooting kept them stirred up and moving. Anyone with a dove field?

Latest posts

Top Bottom