Shipping powder/primers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can find info about shipping live ammo, but everything I can find says you cant ship powder or primers...but surely you can as they (the online reloading stores) can ship it to us?

What am I missing here? I have 3 boxes of shells, a box of primers and a pound of powder I need to get to somebody.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"
Special Procedures for Shipping Ammunition
UPS accepts for transportation such ammunition as constitutes "cartridges, small arms," as defined in 49 C.F.R. § 173.59. All other allowable ammunition shipments are accepted only on a contractual basis, and must be prepared under the rules for a fully regulated hazardous material. Ammunition cannot be shipped where it exceeds 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifles or handguns or 8 gauge for shotguns. The package may not exceed 66 lb. (30 kg). The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment containing ammunition complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package, including, without limitation, age restrictions.

Use These UPS Services for Your Ammunition Shipment
In order to meet the exception for "Limited Quantities" shipments or ORM-D materials, which are not subject to the shipping paper requirements of subpart C of part 172 of 49 CFR, ammunition can only be shipped via UPS Ground, and only within the 48 contiguous United States, or via UPS Ground Intra-Oahu and Intra-Alaska. Shipments of ammunition with other UPS services must be prepared as a fully regulated hazardous material and are available only on a contractual basis.

Ammunition is not accepted for shipment internationally.

Packing and Labeling Requirements for Ammunition
All ammunition must be shipped in new corrugated packaging which meets the UPS Single Wall Box Strength Guidelines. Ammunition must be packed with internal boxes or partitioning or in metal clips. The internal boxes, partitions or clips must fit snugly into the external packaging that is securely closed so that it cannot open during transportation. Ammunition will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. Part 172, et seq. regarding hazardous materials shipments, and must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials. For additional information regarding packaging and labeling requirements, refer to "How to Ship Ammunition (Cartridges, Small Arms)," at the link below, or contact UPS.

How to Ship Ammunition

Getting Your Ammunition Shipment to UPS
Cartridges, small arms may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup®, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Cartridges, small arms are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store® or any third party retailer or UPS Access Point™ location.

Domestic Cartridges, small arms shipments that meet the exception for Limited Quantity/ORMD packages and that comply with all UPS requirements for the shipment of ammunition (as set forth above, in the "How to Ship Ammunition (Cartridges, Small Arms)" guidelines, and in the UPS Terms) may be delivered by UPS to a third party retailer or UPS Access Point™ location in the United States. See the UPS Terms for information regarding firearm and ammunition shipments.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you have a commercial account, I can't see how UPS or FedEx would allow regular citizens to just start shipping "explosives" (using that term loosely).

I probably wouldn't try to do it without dislosing it either as they could end up banning you or pressing charges.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ammo shouldn't be a problem. A few hoops to jump through, but it can be done.

The powder and primers will be a problem. I don't think John Q can ship those.

Years ago, I had a license for shipping HazMat, at least a certain classification of HazMat. I think one needs to be certified by some agency it another.

Good luck

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can find info about shipping live ammo, but everything I can find says you cant ship powder or primers...but surely you can as they (the online reloading stores) can ship it to us?

What am I missing here? I have 3 boxes of shells, a box of primers and a pound of powder I need to get to somebody.

Look at the requirements for shipping of “hazmat”.

It is my understanding that UPS and FedEx will only ship from contract carriers.

See these two for an example.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-cent...shipments/hazardous-materials/definition.page

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-cent...ents/hazardous-materials/online-process.page?

Since you will have to find a company setup to ship hazmat and pay their premium on top of the shipping and hazmat fee, I can pretty much assure you a pound of primers and a box of primers (if a box of 1000) won’t be worth the excess cost of shipping them.

I shipped a case of primers a couple of years ago. But, it was with a call-tag from the manufacturer and I dropped them off at a trucking company hub.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I should have added.

Loaded ammo and components have different DOT shipping requirements.

If I correctly remember my hazmat training from 25+ years ago. Primers are considered explosive. Smokeless powder a flammable solid. The amount by weight of each included in a load round drops them out of these specific categories. Hence the ORM-D label required for ammunition, “hazardous material in limited quantity”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORM-D

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah its sounding like I will be keeping the powder and primers. What a pain. Without those added, it's not worth sending the shells either so that went from an awesome care package to diddly squat in a hurry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom