Shooting sport for 15 year old and Myself

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superdave65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We were invited to the match today By Zeke and his boys. What a great time!!! woo hoo. We can't wait until next time. I better buy a progressive press, otherwise my boy will put me in the poor house. LOL

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Steel Challenge, they have several different matches all over OK. My son 13 has shot at USSA, and also the Heartland snubbie match(Which he wants to shoot again). Summer is upon us and no school issues to contend with, so we'll be out and about shooting different matches this summer.

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Do you have more details? Whats it like? Where? Courses of fire? When?

Here are the rules for SC... http://ipsc.okcgunclub.org/steel_chal/sc_rules.pdf

A primer on SC... http://ipsc.okcgunclub.org/docs/steel_chal_primer.pdf

The stages... http://ipsc.okcgunclub.org/steel_chal/sc_stages.pdf

As to what it's like, it's a relaxing competition for me. I do my stages and watch how other's do theirs with the hope of learning and picking up techniques that'll help me improve. I admit that I suck at the game. But I have a good time, enjoy shooting at something besides paper and meeting up with others who share a common interest.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing against Steel Challenge or those that enjoy shooting it, but it just isn't near as fun as the dynamic shooting sports. It can also be extremely frustrating for new shooters because a miss is immediately known and they feel compelled to continue shooting at a plate til they hit it.

USPSA has been compared to a real life video game and I can understand the comparison. Dave and his son seemed to have a great time Saturday and I suspect we will see them at another USPSA match soon.

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nothing against Steel Challenge or those that enjoy shooting it, but it just isn't near as fun as the dynamic shooting sports. It can also be extremely frustrating for new shooters because a miss is immediately known and they feel compelled to continue shooting at a plate til they hit it.

USPSA has been compared to a real life video game and I can understand the comparison. Dave and his son seemed to have a great time Saturday and I suspect we will see them at another USPSA match soon.

It probably is more fun than SC. The appeal of SC is that it allows those in less than ideal shape, have health concerns or limited income (.22rimfire is much cheaper than CF ammo) to participate. Give me a 2-gun rimfire competition and I'd try it. My funds are finite and burning through a benjamin for entry fees, ammo costs and fuel to an event just isn't possible.

One tactic I've learned in SC... if you miss a target twice, move on and take the 3 second penalty. I've even purposefully skipped shooting at target #4 on Five to Go between target #3 and the Stop Plate. :)

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It probably is more fun than SC. The appeal of SC is that it allows those in less than ideal shape, have health concerns or limited income (.22rimfire is much cheaper than CF ammo) to participate. Give me a 2-gun rimfire competition and I'd try it. My funds are finite and burning through a benjamin for entry fees, ammo costs and fuel to an event just isn't possible.

One tactic I've learned in SC... if you miss a target twice, move on and take the 3 second penalty. I've even purposefully skipped shooting at target #4 on Five to Go between target #3 and the Stop Plate. :)

Five to Go is my favorite stage next to Smoke n' Hope! I understand what you are saying about expense, but the expense isn't near $100 to shoot a local match. Just to be fair, the gas and match fee expense is universal between the sports. The only difference in expense would be the ammunition. There is quite a difference between .22 rimfire ammo and centerfire ammo. That's why most of us reload to offset this expense. You can get to a local match for around $10 in gas, $15 match fee and $30 in ammo (three boxes of 9mm) for a total of $55. If you reload, you can knock that ammo expense down by at least half.

As far as being in less than ideal shape, join the club! LOL Most of us aren't in that great of shape and we even have one shooter with MS that shoots with a cane.

ETA: I don't want you to think I'm being argumentative, I just don't want people to think shooting USPSA is outside their financial or physical abilities.

bboswell

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son and I started shooting local matches about a year and a half ago, when he just turned twelve. Couple months of Steel Challenge rimfire and then he started asking me for a 9mm to try the USPSA and IDPA game. M&P Pro for Christmas, and he came home with some hardware from the IDPA Nationals 9 months later competing against adults.

We have a great time and I am always impressed with how much attention he gets from fellow shooters on our squads who see him trying to improve, his attention to safe handling, and offer advice and support.

Most clubs will let a new shooter use an Airsoft gun to run stages. When they are comportable and you are convinced they are a safe to everyone, move up to .22, although their score will not be counted, but its unlikely a new shooter would be winning anyway. Then they can move into 9mm and since they pick up skills much faster, will be beating most of the adults in short order.

Have Fun, and buy a Dillon reloader sooner than later!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom