Shooting With Both Eyes Open

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noslogto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. The only thing I do left handed is shoot a long gun. Stange.

It might be because I grew up shooting pump air rifles and pump shotguns. Using the pump action with my right hand probably felt more natural.

Anywho, thanks again for your words of wisdom.

kcox999

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i'm righthanded and left eye dominant. i was told to close my left eye and try shooting through my right only due to alignment issues. im mainly talking about handguns. i have noticed that some times i lose the point of impact if im not careful. does anyone of this sound right to anyone?

kcox999

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
okay. thanks. thats what i used to do but someone told me that right handed shooting needs right eyed aiming. ill stick ol' lefty i guess.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way I learned with a pistol is, focus on the target, then bring the sights up to the target, and squeeze one off... do it sloooow when practicing, dont use the teacup method, thats old school. Keep your center of mass square with your target.

buckeye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you bring a handgun up directly in the centerline of your body, it shouldn't make any difference if you turn your head one way or the other to align an eye with the sights - it'll be the same distance either way.

I'm still working on the eyes open / one closed thing. My brain switches eyes pretty reliably every few seconds, even with good concentration.

Oklahoma Stronghold

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up plinking every now and then and I had never heard of shooting w/both eyes open until a few months ago when I put an Aimpoint on my AR. It was pretty easy to get used to. Seeing this post the other day was the first time I had heard of it using a handgun. So I started trying while dry firing. I'm right handed and I figured I would be right eye dominant. I kept seeing double and so I've started using scotch tape on my left eye. I was very suprised, however when I would use my left eye, it would instantly go to the front sight w/no problem at all. Then if I use my weakhand, same thing. My right eye has troubles seeing double and my left eye has no problems at all. This suprised me. Guess I'm left eye dominant.

Latest posts

Top Bottom