Shotgun Chokes Which Ones?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
At risk of derailing....the dbl barreled muzzle loading shotguns are/were just a poor transition from early fowlers/fusils/trade guns and modern cartridge shotguns.

Each muzzle loading shotgun manufacturer tried different bores, started evolving "chokes"......the much older fowlers, fusils, trade guns were made basically the same.....to use shot or ball interchangeably. This required a straight bore.
Again this is just my theory but I think ML dbl barrel shotguns were designed for a particular load. The earlier guns were just accidentally better at giving different pattern with different loads. So think of SxS ML shotguns as "modern" when it comes to loading from the muzzle. Just transitional tools, not better because the only improvement was a faster second shot.

Added more.

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went ahead and went with a Carlson IC choke for now. I will pick a Full and Modified later on down the road. Thanks all!
i983.photobucket.com_albums_ae320_promiseofwars_Beretta1301BW_zpsvftosl79.jpg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I think you should leave the extension on there and use a long plug............just try to keep a straight face when the GW walks up.... :)

dc4ou

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really think that you can use the chokes that came with your gun. I have always used them and they work fine. I have some Briley chokes that I like, however I do not think they shoot any better. They just look cool in the OU. I guess it would depend on the gun you have. I have always shot Benelli for my hunting guns so I guess that is the extent of my choke experience.

Latest posts

Top Bottom