Sig 101 Thinking about making the switch - school me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned 2 different Sigs now and am starting to drink the Kool-aid. Both have been pretty range guns that didn't get shot/carried much, because I just never considered them as a carry gun (don't really know why, just didn't).

I'm seriously thinking of switching out my G19 for a Sig 228 or 229 (and to be honest, the wife loves the feel of the Sig over the Glock, so she may end up with one too).

Here's a couple of stupid questions:

What are the major differences between the Sig 228 and the newer 229? I've heard that the pins in the 229 (and other newer models) are pressed in, so detail stripping them is a pain where as the older models have pins that can be tapped out much easier - don't know if this is true, but its certainly a consideration if it is.

Any major failures or issues ever cited with any of these models:
228/229/226

Anyone carry a 226 that used to carry a Glock 17? or a 228/229 and used to carry a Glock 19? Or Visa Versa?

I don't want any "mine is better, yours sucks" opinions, just personal experiences with what you liked/disliked about both. I know my Glock and love it - and for the longest time, there was no .22 conversion kit for the Sig. Now since that little problem has been remedied, I'm seriously wondering why not make the switch.

I already miss my P6 having just sold it and always wanted to carry it, but couldn't justify the size for the single-stack capacity vs. the Glock, etc... I always thought the 228/229/226 models were fatter than they were, so I'm pleasantly surprised by the feel of pretty much every model I've handled so far.

Who knows, I may end up trading out the Kahr K9 for a 239 if I drink too much of this stuff.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm the opposite, I once carried Sigs now carry glocks or 1911s. I've owned just about everyone out there except the P210 series. The P228 is the best IMHO. It felt it was more balanced than the P229 9mm. The P239 just disappears IWB with a good holster. Both were accurate and especially reliable for me. Carried a german stamped P220 for awhile too. Also a great platform that hides very well.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently switched from Glock to Sig because I shoot the Sigs better. I prefer the traditional SA/DA decocker. I carry a 239, just bought a 228 and will carry it also once I shoot it a little more.

The 229 was designed to handle the 40 S&W and 357 Sig its a little beefier. See my other thread, there are some new 228's available if you prefer 9M.

I used to spend a little time on the Sig forum but have about quit, just too much griping and moaning for my taste.

I used to carry a G26 or a G19. The Sigs are a little larger and a little heavier but not enough to matter to me.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had two P-226's and a P-228. While they're very accurate and the grips feel good, they don't do as well as Glocks at hi-speed shooting. I dislike the DA/SA trigger system, the high bore centerline, slide stop placement and overall bulk.

A P-228 or P-229 in SA mode will outshoot a G-19/23 for slow fire group size all day long. Put a timer on them both through a full range of dynamic shooting drills and the Glock will deliver combat accuracy noticeably faster than the Sigs. JMO, YMMV

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A P-228 or P-229 in SA mode will outshoot a G-19/23 for slow fire group size all day long. Put a timer on them both through a full range of dynamic shooting drills and the Glock will deliver combat accuracy noticeably faster than the Sigs. JMO, YMMV

I think this is dependent on the shooter, but I would say that it's probably correct for most people out there.

While I enjoy shooting the DA/SA trigger system on a rest at the range, It's less practical for carrying. I've owned several Sigs & GLOCKs, but never considered concealing the Sigs. My biggest reason for that is weight/size. No matter how you stack it, a Sig will not conceal like a G19. The weight difference isn't huge, but it isn't small, either.

What holster are you thinking about for your Sig?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty much what GTG said. I haven't done that much high speed shooting, but even what I have done I've noticed the Glock is easier to control.

I love my 228, and if you go to Sig, that's what I'd recommend. But I don't really carry it anymore. The Glock is lighter, easier to shoot fast, and holds just as many boolits.

The Sig had no failures whatsoever though. It took a primer I loaded sideways to jam it. Light loads, hot loads, nothing phased it. Incredibly accurate. Easy to shoot accurate slowly, very comfortable in the hand.

Don't trade or sell to get one, save up and buy one outright, shoot the different guns side by side. Then if you don't like it, you sell it and haven't lost anything.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dislike the DA/SA trigger system, the high bore centerline, slide stop placement and overall bulk.

I guess I can't really see the high-bore axis difference that everyone else talks about. I used to subscribe to that theory, but for me its never made a huge difference. I can draw and shoot my old P6 (in single-action mode - not that I would carry it that way, but just to rule out the D/A trigger as contributing to the accuracy) faster and more accurately than my G19. It had signifigantly higher bore axis and the sights were way higher than the trigger (same with my FN-P9).

The slide-stop appears to be made for folks with smaller hands (like myself) and I don't end up with my thumb on it with the Sigs nearly like I did with my FN-P9 (it was in exactly the wrong spot). The Sigs slide-stop appears much easier and natural (again, for my hands) than the Glock's.

And as for the Bulk, it took me measuring it to see that it was fatter in the grip - it honestly makes for a more natural correct-grip in my hands. I did notice that the controls stick out quite a ways on my 226 (the decocker especially sticks out pretty far), but the grips appear to be at fault for that - with them removed, the frame is thinner than the Glocks and the slide is as well.

I'd like to know if there are any slim grips out there for the Sig (I'm not finding much of anything in the way of custom grips for the Sigs though). If there's nothing else out there that's skinnier, then I guess I'm stuck with the fat-grips.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to sell my G19 anytime soon, but if I get a Sig, and end up carrying it, the Glock will probably keep the Advantage Arms kit on it in the safe.

The Sig had no failures whatsoever though. It took a primer I loaded sideways to jam it. Light loads, hot loads, nothing phased it. Incredibly accurate. Easy to shoot accurate slowly, very comfortable in the hand.

This is one of the main reasons I have been looking into the Sigs. Don't get me wrong, I've never had a malfunction in my G19, but Sig has had historically less malfunctions (from what I've been able to find). I noticed that my G19 is one of the newer feed-ramp models because of the type 3 malfunctions that were reported. I've heard stories of folks with the newer barrels still having these malfunctions. That's disheartening to say the least - but I try not to buy into the hype.

This has however, become a concern with getting my wife a Glock. Should she ever experience a type 3, I don't know that there's enough training that she could take to (under pressure) clear a malfunction that critical.

While I enjoy shooting the DA/SA trigger system on a rest at the range, It's less practical for carrying. I've owned several Sigs & GLOCKs, but never considered concealing the Sigs. My biggest reason for that is weight/size. No matter how you stack it, a Sig will not conceal like a G19. The weight difference isn't huge, but it isn't small, either.

What holster are you thinking about for your Sig?

I don't know - my first pistol was a 3rd gen Smith DAO, so the double-action trigger doesn't bother me so much (don't get me wrong, I sold that gun and its not my preference), but the D/A first-pull / single action after is probably the biggest hangup I've got with the Sigs so far. I'm fairly sure that with enough training, I could get to the point where it felt natural to me to have the first trigger-pull different than the follow-up shots.

The only other option is DAK and I'm not sure I fancy having a heavy trigger-pull over a single action for the wife (or myself to be honest).

Anyone have a reliable site that points out all of the differences between the 228 and 229 - a lot of what I've read is full of opinion over facts.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I can't really see the high-bore axis difference that everyone else talks about. I used to subscribe to that theory, but for me its never made a huge difference. I can draw and shoot my old P6 (in single-action mode - not that I would carry it that way, but just to rule out the D/A trigger as contributing to the accuracy) faster and more accurately than my G19. It had signifigantly higher bore axis and the sights were way higher than the trigger (same with my FN-P9).

The slide-stop appears to be made for folks with smaller hands (like myself) and I don't end up with my thumb on it with the Sigs nearly like I did with my FN-P9 (it was in exactly the wrong spot). The Sigs slide-stop appears much easier and natural (again, for my hands) than the Glock's.

What kind of shot to shot splits were you getting for each and what were the group size differences?

Have you tried working the slide stop on the Sigs left handed?

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
EZB, I've owned Glocks, carried Glocks, shot them competitively, and I have never been able to get used to the grip angle, oh yeah, slept with one in Iraq for two years, its all we had as far as pistols went.

Gaston may have been an Austrian, but all he really did was build the "Volkspistolen". I prefer the feel and balance of the SIG. Your already shooting a P225/P6 so that and two spare mags will see through just about anything your likely to encounter. As to something bigger the P226 makes a good carry gun, but a better vehicle gun. I usually carry a SW3913, but have been grabbing my P225 more and more, she's a little larger, but makes up for that in the accuracy department. Don't feel bad about giving up the Glock!!!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of shot to shot splits were you getting for each and what were the group size differences?

Well - that's probably a fair question, but I'm not shooting this gun competitively, so I'm not unhappy with 2"+ shot splits and group sizes the size of a paper-plate for a self-defense gun - admittedly, I'm not a serious competition shooter, but my groups with the sig (again, with it cocked for the first shot) were usually 1"-2" smaller overall and my sight acquisition was always quicker (all but one of the compact glocks I've owned had 3-dot night-sights - only one had a goal-post in the back and I never liked the goalpost sights).

Again, this says nothing of drawing it and shooting the way it was intended to be carried with the D/A first trigger pull (I only carried my P6 once or twice) and that first pull is probably going to hurt maintaining sight-acquisition and accuracy of group, but if the shots still fall into a 6"-9" group, I'll be happy with it hitting center of mass for the most part (yes, pressure of the situation could cause a 9" group to look like a 15" group and that would be bad, but again - I've not practiced with it enough to even try because the thought of seriously carrying a Sig hadn't ever occurred to me).

Have you tried working the slide stop on the Sigs left handed?

No, but I can see where this would be an issue (and yes, I understand the importance of doing weak-side drills). I just tried it with my 226 and it is a bi+c# to work without pulling the webbing of my hand almost completely out of the grip, so that's also a very fair question again but to be honest, I've never used the slide-stop when actually firing or doing self defense drills as I've always been taught to sling-shot every time no matter what.

I'm not talking trash about one being better than the other and I can absolutely see how in competition, the Glock with its total lack of manual safety/decocker and consistent trigger would be easier and quicker. But the high bore-axis hasn't ever been an issue for me (this could be because I'm not doing everything correctly - I've got a couple of bad habits that I've always fought), but the fact is, the Glock has never been a comfortable gun for me to draw/present quickly, acquire a target quickly, and shoot quickly.

Now I don't have the hundreds of thousands of rounds through a glock that several other folks on here have (and believe me, I respect your opinions), but with the few thousand rounds that I have in mine, I've never felt as comfortable with it as I have with the few hundred rounds I've got through sigs so far.

We'll see I guess - I've started eyeballing used 228s and 229s for a test subject.

Latest posts

Top Bottom