Sig M11-A1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The M11-A1 is NOT a mil issue M11. It's a 229 stamped M11-A1 & produced for civilian sales. Go to your local Sig dealer, pick one up and you will see it isn't a good idea to regurgitate the crap you pull off the internet as though it were spoken from on high. A real M11/P228 has a stamped/folded & welded slide with a pined block. The slides on the M11-A1/P229 etc. are "ALL" machined from a single block of stainless steel and heavier. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. They are what they are and are frankly pretty damn impressive. No matter how they stamp them they just aren’t an M11

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good grief here you go: http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/m11-a1.aspx

"PISTOL, COMPACT, 9MM, M11 Issued to US Naval Aviation and key units in every branch of the Armed Services, the M11 is proud to serve. Upgraded with a stainless steel slide, a Short Reset Trigger and three 15 round flush fit magazines, the M11-A1 variant features the same phosphate coated internals, SIGLITE® night sights and MIL-STD UID label of the standard-issue M11."

That’s nice and all but they aren’t the same internals because the M11/P228 didn’t come with a short reset trigger and were not built on a 40 cal frame like the M11-A1. Notice the three P229-2 9mm mags that come with it. Try and insert those in a real M11 and guess what? They don’t fit in the magwell because they are made to fit the newer one size fits all 9mm/357 Sig/40 S&W frame.

It’s a great pistol but not an M11, it’s an M11-A1. Really nice play on labeling though.

Goathead

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good grief here you go: http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/m11-a1.aspx

PISTOL, COMPACT, 9MM, M11 Issued to US Naval Aviation and key units in every branch of the Armed Services, the M11 is proud to serve. Upgraded with a stainless steel slide, a Short Reset Trigger and three 15 round flush fit magazines, the M11-A1 variant features the same phosphate coated internals, SIGLITE® night sights and MIL-STD UID label of the standard-issue M11.

That’s nice and all but they aren’t the same internals because the M11/P228 didn’t come with a short reset trigger and were not built on a 40 cal frame like the M11-A1. Notice the three P229-2 9mm mags that come with it. Try and insert those in a real M11 and guess what? They don’t fit in the magwell because they are made to fit the newer one size fits all 9mm/357 Sig/40 S&W frame.

It’s a great pistol but not an M11, it’s an M11-A1. Really nice play on labeling though.
Click on your own link look at the photo in said ON THE SIDE OF THE GUN 228
RIGHT ON THE SIDE OF THE GRIP your own link but what hell do I know I was in the US Army and took the weapons class my 17 years in and 4 combat tours and have seen the sig M11 in person in my hands but hell your right ...

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes Sig did put P228 grips on them, very astute but they don’t even sell the P228 anymore. Their marketing department is working serious overtime.

Now let’s take a look at the other side of that unit. I wonder why Sig’s marketing doesn’t show the other side on their literature?

It’s a new style P229 slide complete with the new long external extractor. One more time…. The new ones are ALL built on the 40 cal P229 frame. The old P229 9mm/P228/M11 slides were interchangeable. The new one will not fit an M11/P228 because it’s wider, same goes for the mags. How do I know? I’ve swapped them around just to see what really changed over the years.

I for one think it’s a better gun than the original. I think most people that say the original P228/M11 balances better make that assumption based on the empty weight of the gun. Once It’s loaded, especially with 124 grain 9mm and the two extra rounds the new one is absolutely perfect. For me anyway YMMV.

View attachment 37669

View attachment 37670

View attachment 37671

Now, does anyone want to argue whether my Colt 6920 stamped M4 is a real M4 just because Colt put that roll mark on it? Of course it’s not :) Marketing hard at work sucking that last dollar out of us that’s all. That M4/M9/M11 sure looks good stamped on there though. Especially if you were issued anything that had it on there before. I’ll admit I wanted an M9 stamped M9 not 92FS and lost money on a swap to make it happen. Why? We like what we like and the marketing folks know it!

Goathead

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes Sig did put P228 grips on them, very astute but they don’t even sell the P228 anymore. Their marketing department is working serious overtime.

Now let’s take a look at the other side of that unit. I wonder why Sig’s marketing doesn’t show the other side on their literature?

It’s a new style P229 slide complete with the new long external extractor. One more time…. The new ones are ALL built on the 40 cal P229 frame. The old P229 9mm/P228/M11 slides were interchangeable. The new one will not fit an M11/P228 because it’s wider, same goes for the mags. How do I know? I’ve swapped them around just to see what really changed over the years.

I for one think it’s a better gun than the original. I think most people that say the original P228/M11 balances better make that assumption based on the empty weight of the gun. Once It’s loaded, especially with 124 grain 9mm and the two extra rounds the new one is absolutely perfect. For me anyway YMMV.

View attachment 37669

View attachment 37670

View attachment 37671
Your photo states 228 but I'm done with you don't hurt self

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep “newer style extractor” = The newest generation machined SS Slide.

Sorry I was looking at one of my mags and I did get one thing wrong. They are stamped 229-1 not 229-2, "brain fart". They still won’t insert in my P228 but do my EDC P229 357 Sig ;)

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
rlongnt is correct
the M11A1 is closer related to the sig p229 than the p228. The m11 is similar to the P228 though.

in the end. M11 A1 is not the M11. just like the 1911 is not the 1911a1.

and not trying to be rude, and thanks for your serivce but taking a weapons class in the us army and 4 combat tours doesnt make you a sig expert.
once again, thanks

Latest posts

Top Bottom