Sig P-220 Triger pull

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Sig P-220 .45 ACP DA/SA with a single action trigger pull thats a bit lighter than I like.

I was looking at the Wolff springs website and thinking about changing some springs to see if that would make any difference.

Which springs would I change to make a difference in the single action trigger pull? The double action is fine.

Or, would changing the spring for one affect both?

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm.... that's an interesting question... not too often do people try to raise the pull weight.

Pull weights are usually lowered by polishing internals rather than changing springs.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Sig P-220 .45 ACP DA/SA with a single action trigger pull thats a bit lighter than I like.

I was looking at the Wolff springs website and thinking about changing some springs to see if that would make any difference.

Which springs would I change to make a difference in the single action trigger pull? The double action is fine.

Or, would changing the spring for one affect both?

Changing the springs will affect both. So, if you put in a heavier hammer spring both your sao, and dao pull will increase too.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm.... that's an interesting question... not too often do people try to raise the pull weight.

Pull weights are usually lowered by polishing internals rather than changing springs.

Usually people polish internals and change springs to lower pull weight.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
along with polishing and changing out springs... sear angles can also be changed to reduce trigger weight. the most radical trigger weight changes are done with sear angles. usually changing sear angles should only be done by a competent gunsmith.

there's negative, neutral and positive sear angles. only positive sear angles are acceptable. to find out what you have ... with pistol unloaded... carefully pull trigger while watching hammer.... your hammer should move very slightly backwards before releasing with a positive sear. this means spring tension will jam sear together at rest. vs a negative sear will move hammer forward creating a very dangerous condition.

do you have a trigger scale? if so what's the pull weight?

do a slam fire test.... with NO rounds in pistol... making sure your pistol is not loaded.

cock... then slam pistol hard against a solid non marring surface at angles as if pistol was dropped. naturally don't slam pistol hard enough to hurt it... what you are doing is replicating forces if you dropped it.

trigger sear if done safely will not discharge .... even if slammed HARD! (positive sear angles will jam together harder if bumped) if your trigger releases after a hard slam... STOP... put that gun away and take it to a gunsmith.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a feeling that the last owner of this gun put lighter springs in it. I have two other Sigs and neither of them has a single action trigger pull as light as this one.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Pull weights are usually lowered by polishing internals rather than changing springs."

No, you didn't. "Rather than" instead of "and" greatly changes the meaning.

Oh bite me. :) lol

Hadn't had enough coffee yet. It was what I meant though, and I can't be held responsible for your guys not being able to read my mind!

:thumbup3:

:) j/k

Latest posts

Top Bottom