sig p229 in 9mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What are your thoughts. I have been looking at these as a conceal carry piece and for some target/competition shooting. Sort of a do all. The only thing that worries me is the da/sa trigger. I have only ever owned sao type pistols. I have shot da/sa pistols, just not owned one. I am hoping there are some p229 owners on the forums that can help point me in the right direction.

Thanks guys.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned a P228 and am trying to justify another. They are geat pointing guns, hate the DA/SA transition but oh well, they are reliable and accurate. It will suck for competition but a great carry platform.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The competition I speak of is the practical rifle match at Oil Capitol. There is usually just 2 stages with the pistol. A few steel plates, maybe a Texas star, that sort of thing. Not idpa or ipsc. I also don't want to show up with pocket .380 either, but something in the compact range should work.

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you will be happy with a P229. Once you get used to the trigger, a double action is not that bad. Sig makes an accurate, reliable pistol.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 229 Sport which i "converted" to 9mm with an extra stainless slide and Barsto 9mm Conversion barrel. Personally I think the Sig 229/226 are a bit too wide in the grip for concealed carry. I also prefer a striker fired psitol for carry without the DA/SA transition, external safties or external hammer.

That being said I do know of several shooters who use the 9mm Sig 226 in IDPA and USPSA competition.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 229 in 9mm. Always goes bang, and is accurate as all git-out.

It's a little thick for ccw. OWB with jacket would be fine, but IWB in summer would be difficult. As for the DA/SA thing... I don't think it's an issue. Sure the first pull is a little stiff, but I don't think you're going to notice it in a real scenario.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used them for years and I think they are great. I carried a .40 for a long time but after retiring I dumped the .40 and now only own 9mm's and .45's. The P229 is just a tad thick for summertime carry. I only do so under a suit coat or sport jacket (IWB, of course.) The rest of the time it's either a P239, Kahr PM9 or a revolver. If SIG made a sub-compact 9mm I would carry it instead of the PM9. Sorry, .380 fans...9mm is as low as I go. The DA/SA transition take a little practice to become accustomed to. However, I prefer it to SAO (and I carried a 1911 for 20 years.) Just practice the DA mode and the SA will come in on it's own. Mine have the short reset triggers and I feel that really helps.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Although I like 'em, I don't think I'll own one. The ones I've shot are a little thick and recently I've developed an aversion to a gun with two different types of trigger pulls (da/sa). It is much easier to shoot/train with a DAO or SAO gun (I greatly prefer the SAO) or striker fired. There are SAO guns that should fit your bill (pro or compact 1911s in 9mm, 40, and 45). Just my 2 cents...

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Although I like 'em, I don't think I'll own one. The ones I've shot are a little thick and recently I've developed an aversion to a gun with two different types of trigger pulls (da/sa). It is much easier to shoot/train with a DAO or SAO gun (I greatly prefer the SAO) or striker fired. There are SAO guns that should fit your bill (pro or compact 1911s in 9mm, 40, and 45). Just my 2 cents...

I hear ya on that. I have just recently been handling them and they feel realy nice. I plan to shoot a few before I jump into something. I think I would prefer the sao type pistols also, but am not entirely opposed to the da/sa. Time will tell. Just looking for some feedback. Positive or otherwise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom