Sighting in a scope?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok folks. I am new to this whole long range rifle shooting thing and am trying to possibly get ready for deer season. :eek2: Never have been so I am obviously wanting to get things in order. I picked up a Weatherby Vanguard Sporter in .270 WIN a few years back and had not only fired it once before this morning. I recall that it shot fine back then but am not certain. I had a used Nikon Buckmaster placed on it by a local shop and had them laser bore sight it. Ok. Figured I was set.

Head out to Banner Road range this am to sight in the old deer gun and bam!!! Not even on the paper. :scratch: Hmmm... Dadgum! At 100 yards I was lost. So, head over to the 50 yard bench and figured out I was way high.

Ratcheted down the little clicky knob thing and tried to get it sighted to zero. Well, I must not know what I am doing because I simply could not within 20 rounds fired get this thing to Zero. Had some tight groups. Very tight but just not in the bullseye. What gives? Am I firing too fast, too slow or what? I assume the heat of the barrel may affect this. The more I shot the more pissed I got frustrated I got and was following up with another shot fairly quick.

All the other rifles I had did great. Even hit two rounds in a 3 inch group with the iron sighted Marlin 336! :Heya: The Model 99 in .300 Savage was a monster and hit where I aimed every dam time. What am I missing?

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Each click is 1/4" at 100 yards. So 1/8" at 50 yards. If you were shooting 12" high at 50 yards that would be 96 clicks down or about 24 minutes of angle. That may be pushing that little scope in internal travel. Especially if the guy that bore sighted it had already cranked it down a lot. I'd start looking at the mount and rings to make sure everything was cool. What make/model are the base and rings?

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Each click is 1/4" at 100 yards. So 1/8" at 50 yards. If you were shooting 12" high at 50 yards that would be 96 clicks down or about 24 minutes of angle. That may be pushing that little scope in internal travel. Especially if the guy that bore sighted it had already cranked it down a lot. I'd start looking at the mount and rings to make sure everything was cool. What make/model are the base and rings?

Hmm. Not sure. Weaver base and rings? Sounds familiar. They are nice and tight. Also, I was aware of the 1/4inch variance caused by one click at 100 yards as it referenced that on the knob. However, it seemed that no matter how many clicks I made it would not go to zero. Odd?

Sounds like the Savage should be your deer rifle, jmo.
I must agree. However, I still want to sight this Weatherby in. At this point I consider it a challenge. Will pick up some more Winchester .270 today and give it another go next week I think.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will be at Banner Saturday morning before it gets real hot. I will help if I can. Harry also bore sights rifles and can at least get you on paper.

bernardderek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im having the same problem with my red-dot sitght on my AR. I can get it sighted in with tight groups at 25 and 50yds but when i stretch it out to 100 i can hardly even hit paper. Im sure that it is a combo of both lack of skill on my part and the 2moa reticle.

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IF you can hit the paper at 50 yards with the first shot, you can have that rifle sightened in with 2 shots, how?
It takes two people so after the first shot look thru the scope and put the crosshairs back at the point of aim for the first shot, now have someone turn the turrets on the scope so the crosshairs line up with that first bullet hole, now fire another
round, it will hit where you are aiming.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IF you can hit the paper at 50 yards with the first shot, you can have that rifle sightened in with 2 shots, how?
It takes two people so after the first shot look thru the scope and put the crosshairs back at the point of aim for the first shot, now have someone turn the turrets on the scope so the crosshairs line up with that first bullet hole, now fire another
round, it will hit where you are aiming.

Hmm. Really? Thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom