SKS pricing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I doubt many people are actually getting their $500 asking price, if so, whoever is buying isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. $300-$400 all day long, depending on what store you find them at, or what vendor at the gun show has it. Highest I've seen in a retail has been $375, and gun show I've seen them up to $400, but most aren't that high.

Depends on what you're looking for. A non-refurb Russian is going to pull $500, and if it's a non-refurb Izzy it's going to be more than that. Like it or not, collectors have caught on to the more unusual models, and the prices have trended with it. Chinese rifles are your typical $300 to $350, unless it's a "paratrooper" or one of the "Sporter", D, or M models that take AK mags - then you're back to the $500 (or more) range.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on what you're looking for. A non-refurb Russian is going to pull $500, and if it's a non-refurb Izzy it's going to be more than that. Like it or not, collectors have caught on to the more unusual models, and the prices have trended with it. Chinese rifles are your typical $300 to $350, unless it's a "paratrooper" or one of the "Sporter", D, or M models that take AK mags - then you're back to the $500 (or more) range.

I'm not a collector, but I can say you wouldn't catch me paying that for any of those. If someone wants to pay that, then so be it, that's their money. None of those guns are actually WORTH $500, as much as a seller may want to ask $500 for them. I understand a higher price for "collector" gun, but you look at most any other "collector" gun that is priced in the $500 range, the SKS doesn't touch it for quality/fit/finish, therefore, IMO, even if a SKS is in a collectable condition, it is not worth the money, there are much better investments out there for $500.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a collector, but I can say you wouldn't catch me paying that for any of those. If someone wants to pay that, then so be it, that's their money. None of those guns are actually WORTH $500, as much as a seller may want to ask $500 for them. I understand a higher price for "collector" gun, but you look at most any other "collector" gun that is priced in the $500 range, the SKS doesn't touch it for quality/fit/finish, therefore, IMO, even if a SKS is in a collectable condition, it is not worth the money, there are much better investments out there for $500.

Depends on what you're collecting. As for "worth", I can't see an M1A being worth $1500, either - and unless they were produced before the '89 ban, aren't even collectable. But SAI sells the hell out of them. I can't see ANY post-ban AR-15 being worth near $1000, but there's tons of them selling for more than that, every day. $2000+ 1911s? Seriously? But people pay it. Some guys go for the true military surplus rifles, and unusual models, years, and armories are more sought after, and people will pay for them. I wouldn't pay a premium for an SKS, but I understand the mindset, as that rifle is one that some really get into. There's a difference between "collecting" and "investing".

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on what you're collecting. As for "worth", I can't see an M1A being worth $1500, either - and unless they were produced before the '89 ban, aren't even collectable. But SAI sells the hell out of them. I can't see ANY post-ban AR-15 being worth near $1000, but there's tons of them selling for more than that, every day. $2000+ 1911s? Seriously? But people pay it. Some guys go for the true military surplus rifles, and unusual models, years, and armories are more sought after, and people will pay for them. I wouldn't pay a premium for an SKS, but I understand the mindset, as that rifle is one that some really get into. There's a difference between "collecting" and "investing".

I didn't mean per say the typical meaning of "investing", I just mean where/what you have invested your money into. I do think a SKS is a poor investment (unless you bought crates of them at $79 and are now flipping them for current absurd prices), I can see the collect-ability of them though, they are bad ass guns, and they are hard to dispute not being. I just can't see $500 sks, unless it was in unfired condition, then I maybe could, but I would still feel raped. You are right though, can't argue any of the points you made.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

My brain just exploded. I had no idea the variations were so bountiful.

Where is this unicorn M model that takes AK mags? I want one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom