Slope Doping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone got any good resources? I know very little about slope doping and my only bit of land requires me to sit in the upstairs deck of a house looking over a down-hill bit of land that goes into a larger hill for a back-stop (I've got 1000 yards of land this way and its the only place aside from Red Castle that I can shoot at this distance).

I've got some steel targets fab'd up thanks to a friend, and while the angle's aren't terrible for the most part, there are hills at the various distances that I plan on putting steel targets and some of the valleys in between these hills are probably down at a 15 degree angle or better.

Since I'm not reloading yet, this ammo is costing me a lot per shot, so I'd like to screw up the least amount possible (especially since I'll probably have a 10 year old spotter who might not be concentrating at the right times to point out where my hits are ending up should I miss them through the scope).

As I understand it, its all just basic Trig (that I thought I could comprehend). I've got wind adjustment down (when I can actually guess it correctly - or even close, but at least I comprehend what I need to do even if I screw it up).

As I understand slope doping, gravity only affects the horizontal distance, so I can perform some right-triangle math given two different elevation differences, but I'm somehow not getting the hang of what my adjustments are after that (using the right-triangle method).

I've read an article by Mike Brown (not the one on this board - at least I don't think) that points out that the cosign method used in my mil-dot masters book is just an approximation for all calibers and ends up several MOA off at greater distances - does this mean that exact measurements aren't necessary or that this method won't work for me after X number of yards?

Do I need to worry about this if the angle is less than 30 degrees if the distances are out to 1000yds?

I can't seem to find a copy of "The Slope Doper" in stock anywhere and I'm striking out with online resources.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have it on my iPhone but I haven't used it in the field yet. I've played around with it a lot. I bought the middle level version. I can tell you the actual use of it, the interface, and the info it gives you is amazing. I don't know why the calculations wouldn't be spot on. Once I get to try it on the range I'll have some better feedback, but again, the calculations would be the least of my concerns with any given app. It's the functionality and ease of use that varies from program to program.

On the version I have, you can add specific ammo (specific weight, fps, ballistic coefficient) and it will save it and call it whatever you want, i.e. 7mm mag 150gr ballistic tip. It can use the built in accelerometer to get the angle of the shot. It can also use the GPS in the phone to automatically gather local weather data as well as your altitude. It's very thorough. The highest version adds in the actual BC based on bullet drop as well as bullet spin drift and the Coriolis effect. That's a little over the top for me. I'm pretty sure you'd have to be Carlos Hathcock with an Intervention M-200 rifle to need all of that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom