Snake Hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ouhunter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I kill several coon-tail(Western Diamondback Rattler) and velvet-tail rattlers(Timber Rattler) around my house and place every year. Couple yrs ago I killed 8 velvet-tails around the house. My grandpa and old timers had always called them coon-tails and velevet-tails so I have always called them that. I used to go with my cousin back in the early 80's but he would gas them out of there den's and just sack the bigger ones. I love rattlesnake and dumplens. Here is a story for you. This old rancher here by my place was out checking his cattle when he drove up on a huge western diamondback rattler crossing the dirt road he was driving on so he stuck his shotgun out the window and shot it. Well after checking the cattle he got back home he told his wife about the rattlesnake and she wanted to see the rattlers. He didn't cut them off so his wife wanted to go back and get them so they both went back. He drove up to about the same area and saw the snake laying in the road so he got out pulled out his pocket knife grabbed the tail to cut the rattlers off. He was cutting them off when the snake started to move and coil up when he realized that it was not the snake he had shot. He said he about chit his pants, jumped back in the truck and went home. LOL He said it looked like the rattler had around 16+ rattlers plus it was during the spring and still cooler out.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have timber rattlers, and some biggens'. I've posted some pics on OSA somewhere... You all are more than welcome to come kick around, just keep 'em away from me. Chasing me around with a snake is all fun and games till I start shooting.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great stories!

My family is from around Okeene and I can say with great thankfulness in my heart that I have never come across a rattlesnake in the wild. I hate em. Indiana-effing Jones hate em. Now i'm going to be looking under my desk for the rest of the day.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot a rattlesnake in Texas last week with a 458 SOCOM. I should have taken a pic...

So does anyone have reccomendations for a good quality snake grabber?

Last edited:

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have agreed with you, as the color just wasen't right for a copperhead. The crappy cell phone pic didn't help.

His eyes were eliptical, and not circular, so it was a copper head for sure. I always verify.

I really think that is a Great Plains Rat Snake....:scratch: Did you have your glasses on? LOL

Anyways, leaving the hunting area the other day I saw a nice sized bull snake sunning on the dirt road. If it would have been a few years ago, I would have stopped and caught it!

Latest posts

Top Bottom