Snake sidearm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't poke at them. I either give them a wide berth or shoot them.

I poked at a common water snake while tubing a pond once with my rod. He was about 4' long.
Next thing that I knew, he was coming in the tube with me. Got him behind the head and swam to the bank letting it go.

Since found out that if one is coming for you just gently push it away with the rod tip. Don't slap at it. They will go around you and move on, while giving you time to get the .38 derringer out of the tube pocket to shoot it.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
After reading everyone's advice I'm really considering a Ruger sp101 in .357 with the 2.25 barrel. Or a Taurus in similar fashion. The ruger is little bit more than I want to spend, but it could be used for fishing, hunting, and carry. So I can warrant spending a few extra bucks.

Why a different pattern for draw? Being right handed I will be supporting the bow with my left. I imagine 3 o clock would be about standard. I usually carry at 3 or 4 o clock anyways.

The AOW is def intriguing, but more than I wand to drag around and more than I want to shoot with one hand if needed. The stamp is only $5? Right?

Good call with the Ruger.

I don't bow hunt and assumed that you may have equipment/tackle on your strong side and thus having your weapon on your weak side it would be out of the way. Sounds like what you are used is the way to go.

The stamp ... if you "transfer" an AOW it is a $5 stamp. If you make an AOW it is a $200 stamp. This link may help regarding the tax and the rules to making one.

https://www.atf.gov/search/site/making an aow

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While fixing water gaps this past week, I carried a P226 tacops in 9mm. 20 rounds of gold dot 124grn is good for most critters two legged or no legged. Only saw one moccasin the whole time even though everything I was in looked "snakey". Took 3 shots but I got the little bastard. It was a juvenile with dark olive coloring.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While fixing water gaps this past week, I carried a P226 tacops in 9mm. 20 rounds of gold dot 124grn is good for most critters two legged or no legged. Only saw one moccasin the whole time even though everything I was in looked "snakey". Took 3 shots but I got the little bastard. It was a juvenile with dark olive coloring.

A little off topic, but did you carry a 226 with the 20 round magazine? I've only handled one with that setup, never carried it. Does the longer magazine get in the way?

Back on topic: For snake dispatching, either .38 special or larger Speer shot shells, or bullets from a handgun you've practiced with a good bit.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A little off topic, but did you carry a 226 with the 20 round magazine? I've only handled one with that setup, never carried it. Does the longer magazine get in the way?

Back on topic: For snake dispatching, either .38 special or larger Speer shot shells, or bullets from a handgun you've practiced with a good bit.

Oh hell yes it got in the way. Only time I've ever OC'd and I don't really care for it. Think it kinda freaked my old man out at lunch. Just told him that it's a lot more dangerous to holster and unholster a loaded firearm then worry about hoplophobes. In hindsight I probably should have just carried the G19. More reasonable/concealable size and I have more practice with it. That P226 is a tack driver though!

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice! I have a bit of an aversion to really lightweight handguns, at least ones that pack a serious punch, but that looks nice!

Good call with the Ruger.

I don't bow hunt and assumed that you may have equipment/tackle on your strong side and thus having your weapon on your weak side it would be out of the way. Sounds like what you are used is the way to go.

The stamp ... if you "transfer" an AOW it is a $5 stamp. If you make an AOW it is a $200 stamp. This link may help regarding the tax and the rules to making one.

https://www.atf.gov/search/site/making an aow

Got it, and thanks for the link!

Anybody have any suggestions for somewhere to pick up a .357sp101? H and h doesn't have one, and I've not been a big fan of theirs recently. I refuse to buy a gun at bass pro, or anything other than fishing and archery accessories.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few decades ago, I quail hunted quite a bit in West Texas. The quail loved to hang out in tall grass on this farm I hunted. Rattlers loved to hang out there too. I'd never hunt that pasture without my .357 on my hip. I'd alternate rounds in the cylinder. I'd have three rounds of hollow points and three rounds of snake shot. I killed several snakes out there, but always with the shotgun. I was always faster to get at than the holstered revolver.

Now, remembering those invincible times, I can't believe that I knowingly walked around out there. I was a young idiot.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Do want.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Anybody have any suggestions for somewhere to pick up a .357sp101? H and h doesn't have one, and I've not been a big fan of theirs recently. I refuse to buy a gun at bass pro, or anything other than fishing and archery accessories.

A while ago I had the jones to get a gun and couldn't find one locally. I went to Bud's Gun Shop online and had a great experience (budsgunshop.com). They have Ruger SP101s for $474 (cash) or $488.22 with a credit card. You would have to pay a FFL dealer to complete the transfer (about $10). I agree with your call on Bass Pro Shop. Nice store but their prices can be high and for me to drive downtown to not find what I am looking for in a store that size is frustrating.

Regarding an alloy or poly gun (like the LCR), if you were only going to be using snakeshot and/or using the gun for a BUG they are great. I agree that shooting 357 loads through an alloy gun is no joy. If you are want a revolver to throw mag loads and/or just a lot of rounds down range, going with a heavier wheel gun makes sense. This is one of those great choices that you can't go wrong either way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom