Snakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonec7998

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last week my Dad and I were out at the hunting cabin cutting the grass down, since the pond was low he decided to wade in and move the discharge pump further out in the pond ( we use it for irrigation). Right when he had the pump positioned where he wanted a snake started after him from the water while he was also in the water. He started backing up,slipped,fell completely under,snake kept coming, man was he cheeking it up the bank!!!! If you knew pops,it's all the funnier,I think he is a 55 closet FGST member only he didn't have the gun!

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Snakes don't bother me - shooting water at shallow angles does. Maybe it's just me tho.

Me too, 230 gr 45 hollowpoints can easily travel the 4 miles needed to make it to a house in the direction I was shooting or the two miles needed to make it to a road

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not that it will matter, because everyone hates snake :)
Their eyesight is terrible, they can't see you to chase you. They will take off in a direction if frightened, and if you're in front of them, it seems as if they're chasing you. They will lunge/strike for short distances, but they generally can't see well past about 5-7 ft.

They don't nest either. The only snakes that "care" for their eggs are pythons and king cobras. The venomous snakes around here (copperheads, rattlesnakes, and cottonmouths) give birth to live young. Once they're out, the babies on their own. No parental care.

Having said all of this...flame away!

No flame here. You are correct. The only occasion I had with one was a common watersnake. My son was fishing with me in an old sand pit. He yelled at me to come over the other side of a ridge where I couldn't see him. I think she must have just had her babies live berth, and he walked up in the midst of it. She was a little aggressive, but when I got there, she swam out into the water along with the little 2-3" little ones. The fish took care of the little ones pretty quick. The pond had cattails around the edge, and as we walked around the edge, she was about 10 feet behind us. On occasion she would dissapear. I'm thinking we were scaring small frogs into the water, and she was taking advantage of the situation. Snakes have a purpose. I don't mess with them, and pretty much let them go on their way....until a copperhead comes around the house, and then it is history.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not aggressive but just as scary are copperheads. A guy I work with killed 17 a couple of weeks ago in his flowerbed just about sunset. That many copperheads at one time, I think I would get rid of a flower bed if it were mine!

OKC MAD COW

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not aggressive but just as scary are copperheads. A guy I work with killed 17 a couple of weeks ago in his flowerbed just about sunset. That many copperheads at one time, I think I would get rid of a flower bed if it were mine!

Get rid of the flower bed, hell, I'd burn the house down and call in an air strike if available. If you can't tell, I don't care much for snakes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom