So I am curious about that nice piece of brass.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I trim to 2.008 each time after I resize the case.
But I am not sure if this really makes a difference at close range in non crimped brass.
Scroll down to post #12 in this link. That is 11 shots fired and no case neck trimming. in fact no primer pocket cleaning and only cleaning the outside of the case with 0000 steel wool and brushing the neck ID with a rifle cleaning brush by hand.

Cases were FLS and the load was not measured on a scale. just filled a brass case with powder and poured it in and loaded.

The flier in the group was from case lube on powder, I forgot to clean the inside of the neck before inserting powder. Made a flier.
the link. 100 yards
https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?208482-how-many-licks-does-it-take
Nice grouping.
I just need a faster way to trim the brass I was looking at Lee die trimmer, it fits inside a special Die and it has a cutting head attached to a handle so you just spin the handle and you can set it to length.

Sent from the Armory

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NOPE but using the same parts but cuts the time a bunch.
Instead of the shell holder being chucked in the drill I just hold the shell holder in my hand and install the case, does not need to be as tight.

Then take the cutter and case length gauge and chuck it in the $39 bench top drill press and spin the cutter.
Feed the case up by hand and the spinning cutter cuts it while you hold the case and the shell holder.

Way way quicker and no more fighting trying to unlock the case from the holder as you do not need to tighten it so much as now you are holding the case in hand.
My buddy has a high dollar setup for trimming cases and it is possibly even faster.
it is blue and a lever flips and you insert case close lever and then flip another and it feeds the case until it stops.
done.
Holds the case really square and tight. think it is around 300 or more

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice grouping.
I just need a faster way to trim the brass I was looking at Lee die trimmer, it fits inside a special Die and it has a cutting head attached to a handle so you just spin the handle and you can set it to length.

Sent from the Armory

That's a pretty good setup if your not into volume shooting. I have and use the Lee sizer for some calibers.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My method does take longer than you would think as I trim then another step to deburr the outside and another to deburr the inside of the case neck.
Then brush the neck out. A multi tool that does inside outside and trims in 1 step would be fastest

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That may work well, see if the cutter is replaceable as cutters will dull.

I timed myself and it took 5 minutes to
Trim
Deburr inside and outside the case mouth
Then I use a spinning nut driver packed with 000 steel wool to put the slick to the mouth .
And finally brush the case out with a nylon spinning brush.

5 minutes for all those steps. for 13 pieces of .308 brass
Now I read the reviews on a bunch of cutters and when they dull they will leave a burr that needs removed.

I like the long taper of a VLD champher vs the other ,, but many ways to get there.
My friend uses a powered RCBS trimmer.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That may work well, see if the cutter is replaceable as cutters will dull.

I timed myself and it took 5 minutes to
Trim
Deburr inside and outside the case mouth
Then I use a spinning nut driver packed with 000 steel wool to put the slick to the mouth .
And finally brush the case out with a nylon spinning brush.

5 minutes for all those steps. for 13 pieces of .308 brass
Now I read the reviews on a bunch of cutters and when they dull they will leave a burr that needs removed.

I like the long taper of a VLD champher vs the other ,, but many ways to get there.
My friend uses a powered RCBS trimmer.
I've got the vld chamfer tool.
And I'm pretty sure the cutter head is replacable

Sent from the Armory

Latest posts

Top Bottom