So I am curious about that nice piece of brass.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't do high volume shooting then stick to what works. If you have money and just want to save time then only buy http://giraudtool.com/prod02.htm .

Also as far as trimming goes, just stay away from min and max lengths and you should be good to go. Especially with a factory chamber. Neck sizing is cool if you are shooting from the bench and want the most accuracy you can and not over working brass. If you shoot in dirt, rain, snow then bumping may be a better solution. I prefer FL bushing dies, but that is just me.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't do high volume shooting then stick to what works. If you have money and just want to save time then only buy http://giraudtool.com/prod02.htm .

Also as far as trimming goes, just stay away from min and max lengths and you should be good to go. Especially with a factory chamber. Neck sizing is cool if you are shooting from the bench and want the most accuracy you can and not over working brass. If you shoot in dirt, rain, snow then bumping may be a better solution. I prefer FL bushing dies, but that is just me.
Bumping?

And max as in 2.005?

Sent from the Armory

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i57.photobucket.com_albums_g211_jared87_308chamber_zpsb002bdc9.jpg

This is the shoulder you want to avoid, without knowing your specific dimensions it would be hard to know exactly what length you need to avoid.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea its for my .308 which gets shot on VERY rare occasions.

How do you like It? I've heard it's inconsistent with lengths. What have you gotten from it

Sent from the Armory

Mine is pretty consistent.
I've found that most of the inconsistency is by the operator. Its easy to not finish the cut when turning it by hand, or not enough or inconsistent pressure on the ram.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i57.photobucket.com_albums_g211_jared87_308chamber_zpsb002bdc9.jpg

This is the shoulder you want to avoid, without knowing your specific dimensions it would be hard to know exactly what length you need to avoid.
How do I find out the length of second shoulder?
Mine is pretty consistent.
I've found that most of the inconsistency is by the operator. Its easy to not finish the cut when turning it by hand, or not enough or inconsistent pressure on the ram.
On the die trimmer?

Sent from the Armory

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really, it is not worth looking into. With a factory chamber I will generally go with the "Trim to length" the books give. If you ever go with a custom chamber you would no exactly what to avoid and can trim accordingly. The recommended trim length from the book will always be a safe bet without knowing. I don't shoot bench rest so I am not chasing every bit of accuracy I can, I just make sure all my brass is uniform, my loads are made as Identical as I can, and that my neck tension is as close to the same as I can get it. Making sure you settle your powder also helps with a more concentric bullet seating.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really, it is not worth looking into. With a factory chamber I will generally go with the "Trim to length" the books give. If you ever go with a custom chamber you would no exactly what to avoid and can trim accordingly. The recommended trim length from the book will always be a safe bet without knowing. I don't shoot bench rest so I am not chasing every bit of accuracy I can, I just make sure all my brass is uniform, my loads are made as Identical as I can, and that my neck tension is as close to the same as I can get it. Making sure you settle your powder also helps with a more concentric bullet seating.
Yea I'm thinking a custom build later down the road (bolt action 6.5 Grendel???)

But yea I'll just stick to 2.005, I bench shoot but I do want it to be easy to swap over to hunting with a buddy and some 155 AMAX awesomeness.

Sent from the Armory

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the die trimmer?

Sent from the Armory

on both ends of the case. When the ram is raised up to trim, its easy to forget to keep constant pressure on the ram, while manually turning the trimmer handle. Its easy to get in a hurry and not turn the handle enough to complete the cutting process.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
on both ends of the case. When the ram is raised up to trim, its easy to forget to keep constant pressure on the ram, while manually turning the trimmer handle. Its easy to get in a hurry and not turn the handle enough to complete the cutting process.
Oooooo that makes sense.
I'll just tie a weight to the handle haha

Sent from the Armory

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Want to be really saddened.
get a Lee wack a mole loader and scoop measure some loads and shoot for groups.
Sometimes it will make you wonder why you do all that work prepping.

Latest posts

Top Bottom