So I am curious about that nice piece of brass.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one and use it.
My best loads were not found using it though, in fact it can lead you in the wrong direction if you think same velocity makes the best groups.
It does not always work out that way.
I feel finding your guns accuracy node makes the best groups.
Getting out a lot and shooting helps immensely.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
here is a picture of a target I shot at 213 yards Same brass and same load loaded and shot the same day within 5 minutes of each other.
The catch, the only difference is the 2 separate groups were shot with different powder, same amount of powder though,
Virgin Lapua brass 210m primers 155 a max Imr4064 and varget ,

The varget speed was cronied at .
2,766....2,783....2,788 fps 15 feet from the muzzle. 22fps spread 2.585 center to center group.

The IMR4064. speed.
2,795....2,804...2,841 I missed one reading as I was just chambering and shooting and looking at the target That is 47fps spread.
But the grouping is tighter and the 4064 is 4 shot group .
Yes I moved my scope up after I shot the varget load.
So if relying on chrony data I would think the varget could make tighter groups.
This is not the only time I have played the game of varget vs 4064, and I really want varget to win,, but it usually does not.
Interesting to see the difference in velocity of the 2 powders though.
I was just trying to reach 2800fps with this 155 a max in my 21" or so barrel.
I will go back out with once fired prepped brass and see if the groups change.
Here is the target picture.
213 yard v vs 4064 001.jpg

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
here is a picture of a target I shot at 213 yards Same brass and same load loaded and shot the same day within 5 minutes of each other.
The catch, the only difference is the 2 separate groups were shot with different powder, same amount of powder though,
Virgin Lapua brass 210m primers 155 a max Imr4064 and varget ,

The varget speed was cronied at .
2,766....2,783....2,788 fps 15 feet from the muzzle. 22fps spread 2.585 center to center group.

The IMR4064. speed.
2,795....2,804...2,841 I missed one reading as I was just chambering and shooting and looking at the target That is 47fps spread.
But the grouping is tighter and the 4064 is 4 shot group .
Yes I moved my scope up after I shot the varget load.
So if relying on chrony data I would think the varget could make tighter groups.
This is not the only time I have played the game of varget vs 4064, and I really want varget to win,, but it usually does not.
Interesting to see the difference in velocity of the 2 powders though.
I was just trying to reach 2800fps with this 155 a max in my 21" or so barrel.
I will go back out with once fired prepped brass and see if the groups change.
Here is the target picture.
View attachment 45558
Not too bad, if you don't like the varget and I'll take it, I should be able to hit 2,800 fps out of my 26' barrel.

On the powder, but the brass was processed the same? Same primer? Just different equivalent loads of pow pow?

Sent from the Armory

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yes same brass from the same 100 count box, same bullets from same box. same primers from same box.
I seated all bullets the same without moving the die. loaded the same day within minutes of each other never moved the scale.
This was virgin Lapua brass , the only thing I did to the brass is run a nylon brush through the neck and load it.

I will try once fired brass with the same loads and I will also try 2 other primers and see if this changes things.
I have the brass ready.
Once fired brass seats the bullet just ever so slightly easier and more consistent , the shoulder is also moved foreword more from the virgin brass and this will change groups.
The Virgin brass has a smaller neck ID than where it ends up after I size it, this will also change things.

I like varget.. it works well in my 30-30 with plated and cast loads. and works good in the .308 and I have a bunch of it now so just need to find the ultimate sweet spot..

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yes same brass from the same 100 count box, same bullets from same box. same primers from same box.
I seated all bullets the same without moving the die. loaded the same day within minutes of each other never moved the scale.
This was virgin Lapua brass , the only thing I did to the brass is run a nylon brush through the neck and load it.

I will try once fired brass with the same loads and I will also try 2 other primers and see if this changes things.
I have the brass ready.
Once fired brass seats the bullet just ever so slightly easier and more consistent , the shoulder is also moved foreword more from the virgin brass and this will change groups.
The Virgin brass has a smaller neck ID than where it ends up after I size it, this will also change things.

I like varget.. it works well in my 30-30 with plated and cast loads. and works good in the .308 and I have a bunch of it now so just need to find the ultimate sweet spot..

I need to load some 155's
Yea I have 4 pounds of the deliciousness, 2 pounds have the same lot number. :)

Sent from the Armory

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So now you mention you used a scale but earlier stated not using one was the way to go? That was where my comment was directed towards and I stand behind it. One swill generally always benifit from finding a rifles accuracy nodes. When you shoot beyond 200 yards your extreme spread will matter.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never did I ever say not using a scale was the way to go.
Sorry that you read what I do not print.
I showed 2 different pictures one with 11 shots fired using a scooped charge at 100 yards.
The other was measured on a 505.

The scooped charge was when I was testing Lapua brass until failure. I was loading in the field.

Just saying some loads come together without all the work because they are in an accuracy node.
Others fired groups with all the prep in the world will not matter if it does not like that powder charge.

Now please find where I stated not using one was the way to go.

I just like giving jedabug all kinds of info to rack his brain.
And to let him know there is more than one way to get there..

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Want to be really saddened.
get a Lee wack a mole loader and scoop measure some loads and shoot for groups.
Sometimes it will make you wonder why you do all that work prepping.

This statement alone reads out as I took it. Maybe you should have included this in your other post so that it would not be interpreted the way it came across.

Latest posts

Top Bottom