So, I did this.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had an extra XS Big Dot night sight from a Kimber I got in trade. I have a shot barrel Remington 870 that needed a front aiming point. The light goes off in my head to put the XS on the rib and have a glow in the dark sight on the home defense shotty. So, out come the files and the work begins....I ended up with what is pictured below. The sight is in the groove I cut tightly, although it isn't really dovetailed. I did go a little too deep on the cut, so there is some air and light on the left side. Maybe fill it in with some solder? If I did go that route, would it add strength to the sight? I haven't fired it with the sight in place yet (just got a fresh box of slugs today) so I can't say if it will with stand recoil yet and not fly out. Should I wait to fill the gap until I shoot it or see if it will stay in place without? Thanks for any advice or similar experiences.

Attachments

• IMG_2290.JPG
    IMG_2290.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2291.JPG
    IMG_2291.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2292.JPG
    IMG_2292.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 157

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How hard was it to slide across? If it was easy, then shim the bottom with some shim stock to make it fit up tighter in the dovetail.
This would be the correct answer.
It looks dovetailed in the pics, even though you said it wasn't. If it's touching on one side and not the other, make it even and use the shimstock.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How hard was it to slide across? If it was easy, then shim the bottom with some shim stock to make it fit up tighter in the dovetail.

It wasn't easy. I had to tap it in with a brass punch. I didn't really achieve a true dovetail, as I couldn't get the upper angle correct with the file set I used. I'm assuming that the sight steel is harder than the shotgun rib and cut its own minute groove into the softer steel. I thought about trying to peen the top of the cut down to the sight and sort of press weld it together, but I would like to see how it shoots first before making it fixed. I guess the proof will be some slugs to see if it will take the recoil and then go from here.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might try shooting in low light conditions so you can find the XS sight more easily if it flies off into the grass ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom