So I got bored recently...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And ordered the Apex sears for my S&W MP's. I know alot of people will say head over to Ol Yeller and I originally planned on doing so, but I also like to tinker with things myself and learn/perfect things when I can. So I had the tools and figured out why not.

I installed the new sear the other day and then after watching the video on how to get the safety plunger out of the slide decided to smooth the safety plunger edges.

Let me tell you, now that the plunger is rounded (which during the course of doing I found and fixed a factory defect of a burr on a edge) smoothed over and polished along with the new sear and me polishing the rest of the trigger bar contact points. This new trigger setup is smooth as all get out now.

I cant wait to head to the range and see how the guns shoot now. I am guessing that the trigger weight is now in the 3# range now and smooth as glass.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ordered the Apex sear for mine too and am very pleased. I wish I had ordered their rounded striker block too. I can really feel the trigger bar flatten out on the striker block then contact the sear. Might just get one coming as soon as they get more available. Just dont have the know how to round my own and do it right.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pulled the striker block out and put it in my Dewalt drill. Then I took a smooth file and ran the drill and worked the edge of the striker block against the file making sure to not get near the top.

You goal is to not remove any from the top of the striker block, just to round the edges over. Once I was happy with the curvature I took a piece of 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and smoothed and polished the striker block completely.

The rounder the edges of the block are the easier the arm will be able to transition across the block and depress it. Pardon my MS Paint picture, but it gives you the general idea.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
good diagram.
Just make sure you dont go crazy and reduce the overall length of the plunger.

Thanks Ol Yeller, it was a work in process using MS Paint as I suck at it unless I can use a pencil and ruler...lol

Yeah I made sure to not take any off of the plunger as I figured it would make the striker block not release the firing pin. Mainly I worked on the transition points and polishing the striker to eliminate drag when coming across the edges.

Latest posts

Top Bottom