So I see everyone is selling stuff for the big show, but...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is that a sly way of saying "hey, I've noticed nothing of interest in the classifieds lately"? Lol

maybe :D

Nah, I just know that I was sitting on my Sig to take up there, but I ended up thinking "the heck with it - I'll throw it in the classifieds anyways". I'm not gonna lie, I'll be asking too much for it at the show because I fully expect folks up there to low-ball the crap out of everything they see.

Mark my words, everyone at the big W show will be buying junk and selling gold.

The last two years I've brought something to a gunshow, it sold on the way in or within 5 minutes of walking in the door due to it being pretty in-demand. I would guess this Sig I'm taking will go just as quickly, but I don't honestly have anything lined up to buy (other than a knife or two and maybe a MITER connector for my suppressor).

saltydecimator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
maybe :D

Nah, I just know that I was sitting on my Sig to take up there, but I ended up thinking "the heck with it - I'll throw it in the classifieds anyways". I'm not gonna lie, I'll be asking too much for it at the show because I fully expect folks up there to low-ball the crap out of everything they see.

Mark my words, everyone at the big W show will be buying junk and selling gold.

The last two years I've brought something to a gunshow, it sold on the way in or within 5 minutes of walking in the door due to it being pretty in-demand. I would guess this Sig I'm taking will go just as quickly, but I don't honestly have anything lined up to buy (other than a knife or two and maybe a MITER connector for my suppressor).
ya i will be carting some stuff up. i just hope that i can off load it so i can pay my wife back. think people will be buying or just window shopping? i am very apprehensive....

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My prediction is that there are going to be a lot of "2nd time gun buyers" there.

Right after Obama was elected, there were more new gun folks than I'd ever seen at gunshows and prices were ridiculous. They really never settled down right after like they should have because so many of the vendors were either greedy or were trying to make all they could before their suppliers dried up due to the massive demand.

Then there was the dead-zone where Manufacturers were behind in supplying guns/parts to vendors/distributors and everyone was just waiting on something to give - prices stayed high and it was really a guessing game as to what was going to happen.

Then manufacturers started catching up on orders and vendors were left holding the bag because they had huge orders coming in and a lot less demand (and in the case of a few manufacturers, the orders were a lot more expensive when the vendors paid, and the manufacturers had lowered prices on all their current stuff in order to move it - screwing vendors).

This show has the potential for really good prices and really good screwings all at the same show.

I haven't been to a big W show since a year ago (I think that's the last one I went to - can't remember if it was Spring or Fall but I skipped the last one or two).

The last one I was at was full of first-time gun buyers and noobs - I've got no issue with that, but there were some of the rudest people I've ever seen at a gun-show there and I saw a couple of near-fights started with people making stupid low-ball offers on decent guns to other folks and just acting like they were offended that someone would refuse their "cash offer".

I also saw plenty of high-quality guns walk in and out of the show because of uneducated buyers not knowing the difference between high-quality guns/parts and junk - and plenty of folks paying super-high prices on junk guns/accessories because they "looked cool".

That new-guy factor has screwed the market for a little while, but it will settle down eventually.

I'll say this for the new folks attending - don't get caught up in the emotional hype of having to have something cool - if you haven't done research on a particular gun, exercise caution and don't believe a word of what sellers tell you about its "rarity" or how "this manufacturer has a contract with XYZ's foreign military and you're not going to be able to get them for this price before too much longer" or whatever BS everyone there is telling you.

Oh and if it looks/sounds too good to be true (i.e. "its the same quality as that brand, just $300 less), then it almost definitely is. I'd stay away from cheap "tactical" accessories and optics no matter how cool they look unless you're ok with just wasting money. Same with hacked on (table-top gunsmithing) 1911s and so forth unless the person can tell you a fair amount about the work and name names of who did it (or acts like he/she knows what they were doing if they did the work themselves - and you know what you're doing and can verify what they did).

The deal of the century comes along every day - remember that and use common sense and patience. If you don't know for sure what you're buying or feel comfortable spending the money, then just walk away. Kicking yourself for missing out on that great deal is a lot better than kicking yourself for getting screwed out of a few hundred dollars.

More importantly, if you get screwed and you didn't know better, don't try and come to the classifieds here and attempt to make your money back (that's just passing the screwing on to this community and not taking your lumps :D ).

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll say this for the new folks attending - don't get caught up in the emotional hype of having to have something cool - if you haven't done research on a particular gun, exercise caution and don't believe a word of what sellers tell you about its "rarity" or how "this manufacturer has a contract with XYZ's foreign military and you're not going to be able to get them for this price before too much longer" or whatever BS everyone there is telling you.

Oh and if it looks/sounds too good to be true (i.e. "its the same quality as that brand, just $300 less), then it almost definitely is. I'd stay away from cheap "tactical" accessories and optics no matter how cool they look unless you're ok with just wasting money. Same with hacked on (table-top gunsmithing) 1911s and so forth unless the person can tell you a fair amount about the work and name names of who did it (or acts like he/she knows what they were doing if they did the work themselves - and you know what you're doing and can verify what they did).

Here's an another tip for milsurpers, in addition to knowing about the gun generally and knowing fair prices: don't buy the story. Buy the gun.

Everyone is going to say something like, "this K31 was issued to a famous Swiss general who went on secret illegal missions to raid Nazi gold reserves, then used his profits to found Swiss Miss hot chocolate!" Unless it's verifiable with paperwork or armory stamps, it's not worth any more money. I can tell you the name, address, and rank of the prior owner of my K31, but that's because there's a troop tag under the buttplate with that information on it.

Also, stay away from any German WWII firearms unless you really know what you're doing. While most milsurp forgeries are really dumb, people go through a lot of effort to forge WWII-era Mausers, to the point that you need to know what type of font each armory used to stamp serial numbers.

And if anyone tries to sell you something from Mitchell's Mausers, do us all a favor and punch him in the balls.

Latest posts

Top Bottom