So I'm contemplating developing a new gun oil for sale...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. :thumb:

It would do all of that except for possibly the stink part, that's subjective but I can't see it being a whole lot worse. I already know it's going to have great lubrication properties and it will have additives specifically for corrosion meaning the chemical added is specifically for long term protection in a corrosive environment that's prone to condensation, so a year in the safe or attic should be no problem, that's what I'm going for. I want to get some lab testing done to confirm before I take it to the public.

By "not stink" I mean not smell like poop or wet dog or something. It doesn't need to smell like aftershave either. Mobil1, WD40, and even Hoppe's don't really bother me at all.

And yeah, I'd expect it to be good; I remember your testing and some of your talks about oils/lubricants. I wouldn't expect any less.

Simon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This isn't really real world for Ballistol since it is water soluble it was washed off rather quickly. That won't happen under normal use and Ballistol is very good for blackpowder and corrosive ammo. I use it for certain applications, same with Froglube. One thing about Ballistol is its really really cheap, there is a giant markup that they are getting because it ain't cheap for us to buy. Here, this will give you an idea. Just not against what I'm looking at developing, I would expect it to do very well in this test.

https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?175153-Gun-Oil-Corrosion-Test&highlight=corrosion

I've nener used Balistol in the rain or under water, but in humid conditions it protects againsy rust very well. On my guns in the field, I use paste wax on the out side. I hope you can develop a good product, I would be intrested in purchaseing it.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The important part for most buyers is that it's non-toxic and doesn't stink. People who don't care if the product is toxic, smelly, or "edible" end up just sing mobile one synthetic oil. The rest of us want stuff we can get all over our hands, indoors and not worry about any health side effects.

That's probably one of the big selling points for the latest "green" stuff. I personally use Slip2000 EWL mainly because it doesn't stink, but also it tends to stay where I put it and seems far slicker than mobile one oil. It's proven in AR's and that's really all I care about. I'm not sure if it's edible, but it is non-toxic.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Im kinda with Simon. Id love Ballistol. I shoot a lot of BP and use it on most of my guns. I also use a little bore butter to wipe down just the exposed to elements parts of my guns.

Id love to see a lubricant that has some of Ballistols traits along with the water repellant and SMELL of bore butter.

I doubt a "do all" blend is possible. Id give it a honest assessment on my guns over a period of time. If its good stuff or equal to what im getting now, id buy some and be willing to pass the word.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I have a D.O.D. certified lab lined up to do some testing on an AR15 receiver and bolt carrier group under live fire and to do a 30 day humidity cabinet test. Probably be in the fall before I get it rolling, but I think it's going to happen.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well I have a D.O.D. certified lab lined up to do some testing on an AR15 receiver and bolt carrier group under live fire and to do a 30 day humidity cabinet test. Probably be in the fall before I get it rolling, but I think it's going to happen.

I hope this works out. Im pullin for ya.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
May sound silly, but the packaging is probably as important as the product.

A nice 'delivery system' makes an otherwise indifferent oil more attractive to me.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would definitely try it out....$12-$15 a bottle isn't a big investment considering a basic remington 700 or the like is $600 and up....way up. Plus, I always rather help a local business.

Latest posts

Top Bottom