So, I've come to a realization - it IS possible to "overdo it".

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
And, no, I'm not talking about anything dirty, or food-related. It's about men and boys and the size of their toys.

So, for years I've used an LCD TV as a computer monitor. People always laugh, because it's overkill, yes, but I don't care, I like having a LARGE monitor. So I used a 42 or 43" for a few years, but then I moved my 55" plasma out, my 65" LCD to the front living room where my son watches TV most of the time, and I got a 75" for my primary viewing pleasure. So I had this old 48" LG, and I've been using that for several years. This is mounted on the wall in front of my desk and sits in the living room, next to my big TV. Lately, I've had my son move his Xbox in here on the weekends, and we can play games together, mostly Destiny 2. It's fun, and he loves having a dad that will play video games with him.

So here it is, our patched together gaming zone:

Attach883_20190927_170213-X2.jpg

So... with the price of lower-end TVs essentially plummeting in the last year or two, I decided to make a change. Yup. You guessed it.

So a few weeks back I put a 58" Hisense Roku TV in my office at work. It was overkill, but I actually got it for the same price as a 55" and just about $20-30 more than a 50", so I figured, what the hell. Then yesterday, I decided, it's been a crazy week at work, I've been at the office or doing some kind of work-related shite until 8-9PM every night this week, I needed some 'retail therapy'.

So... behold:

THE NEW FATHER/SON TANDEM GAMING SETUP
20190927_200504-XL.jpg

He loves it, to say the least, and I am pretty pleased, but now, this morning, using it as a computer monitor from literally 3 feet away, it's a bit overwhelming. My eyes as I sit are 39" from the bottom edge of the screen and 58" or so from the top corners. It's a bit much.

But... oh well. I still have that 48" to set up in one of the other bedrooms and build another computer to run it, right? :D

It wasn't as expensive as you might think, it's not a really high-end TV. The 75" on the right I did a lot of research on and dropped a fair amount of coin on last year, but the 65" on the left, I just went to WalMart and browsed for a bit and chose what I thought would work. I didn't want to go from a 48" to a 55", I just didn't see the point, so I was looking for a 60". Unfortunately, the ONLY 60" in the store was a Vizio, and my 75" is a Vizio P75-F1 and I didn't want to have the same remotes for both, so I ended up having to do 65", and I went with a Samsung NU6900. It's not a top of the line, but it was in the right pricerange and fit my wallspace.

And The Boy is ecstatic. lol

But I'm afraid I'm going to have neck problems, now.

:blush:

As for my wife, I'm sure you guys can hear the sound of the eye rolls from across the state.

:clap3:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As for my wife, I'm sure you guys can hear the sound of the eye rolls from across the state.

Yes we can.

Seriously dude my wife freaks when I mention buying a 43" for the living room so that I can see the screen better. Says we have more important things to spend money on. I would love to have a 50" but then I would also need to replace the entertainment center or take a chainsaw to the one we have.

Plus it takes 2 men and a mule to move our old 32" TV.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As for my wife, I'm sure you guys can hear the sound of the eye rolls from across the state.​

LMAO! :rollingla

So how's the resolution? I'm like you, I want and really need tons a real estate on my computer monitor(s). I have a 27" iMac and a 27" 2nd monitor and it's still not enough. I've thought of wall mounting a 47" above my desk for a 2nd and if I can add a video card I could run three! LOL

I have lots of stuff open when doing my work and would love more space and would also like to run a video stream but I just don't have enough space. And the resolution on my iMac has totally spoiled me. The 2nd HD monitor isn't as high but it's "usable" and my iMac is old, it's not even a 4K.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I made a mistake. <sigh>

This is really uncomfortable to use as a computer monitor. Guess I need to rethink things somehow.

I am sure there is a member here you could donate it to. Not me as my living room is not big enough for a TV that size :crying: but I am sure there is someone.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Live and learn, tRidiot. Being a doctor, you now know the issues to the human body for overdoing something.

Now, if I could just learn the same lesson from buying camera equipment.

Wait...

...I have...

...it's back pain from trying to lug too much of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom