Anyone Diagnosed With Afib?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was recently diagnosed with Afib. Retaining water in lungs and around heart it seems causing shortness of breath just walking. I've been a heart patient for 21 years now but so far it's always been an artery blocked. Stents plus bypass surgery so this is a new one. I was put on lasix and elliquis and and scheduled to have a cardioversion on Apr 3 to try and shock the heart back into rhythm. If that doesn't work then I think they will want to do an ablasion. My cardiologist said it is pretty common around age 70 and I'll be 69 later this year. I think there might be some older folks here so does anyone have any experience with this kind of heart problem?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I had one episode in 2019. Will probably be on eloquis forever. I’m also on deltiazem to keep me in rythum. The eliquis keeps the blood from clotting if I do get out of normal. Mine was caused by sleep apnea. I’ve been using a CPAP since then also with no other incidents of Afib.
Who’s your heart doc?

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dr Scherlag at the OKC Heart Hospital. He's good and has been keeping me alive for 21 years now since my first heart incident. I'm on quite the cocktail of meds in addition to the ones I mentioned. Can I ask how old you are and did you have a cardioversion or ablation?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since my hospital stay in 2019. It comes and it goes. The joys of being on a ventilator I am told.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had AFIB and have been cardio converted. My episode was middle of November. Since then i have not had any other incidents. I am currently on Eloquis and hope to be off soon. I will be going to see my cardiologist at Cleveland Clinic to talk with them about whether I need an ablation. (I had a lower heart ablation at the Cleveland Clinic in Dec 21, for bigeminy rhythm, it has held well)
I was born with a heart condition and have had two open heart surgeries. I am in my early 50’s.
All surgeries have been at Cleveland.
Prayers for a speedy recovery.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Dr Scherlag at the OKC Heart Hospital. He's good and has been keeping me alive for 21 years now since my first heart incident. I'm on quite the cocktail of meds in addition to the ones I mentioned. Can I ask how old you are and did you have a cardioversion or ablation?
I’m young or at least I was in 2019. I was only 53 when it happened. I go to Hennebry and he thinks it was a fluke. I was badly dehydrated and doing some really physical work at the time. He’s keeping me on the meds just in case.

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was 47 when my right descending coronary artery was 99% blocked. That damn cigarette habit I had for 29 years. Got a stent in 2003, then another stent in 2010, then a heart attack in 2011 when a clot formed around the stent, Then a 3rd stent 3 months after that. Then bypass surgery a month after that, then 5 years later was told by bypass is occluded, then 2 more stents in 2022. All in the same single artery. And now Afib. My fathers side of the family is riddled with heart disease it was kind of expected. Thank you for the prayers.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I know someone that is 61 and has been dealing with afib for a while now. He goes in for an ablation in a couple of months.

Latest posts

Top Bottom