So what certification is required?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The NRA offers a variety of certifications.
Organizations like the BSA require their instructors to have NRA and similar certifications if they are going to supervise shooting events or teach youth to shoot. It helps keep instruction uniform across organizations and allows the sponsoring organization to say they have qualified instructors that were trained to a recognized standard. The NRA is also one of the few options that's widely available and well recognized.

If the instruction is strictly for law enforcement, then it's likely will need law enforcement specific training to teach, not just the basics from the NRA.

Remember, the way grandpa taught you, because that's what he was taught, may not be the recommended practice today. I can go to my bookcase and pull-out texts written 40 years ago that reflect how I was trained as a youth and show you different information on the same topic in today's NRA instructors manuals. Taking an instructor's class that are topic specific will bring you up to speed on the current standard of care.

The instructor training also about how you teach, and the common pitfalls associated with teaching. Teaching your own kids is very different than teaching John Q. Public. It's a big responsibility and should be taken seriously.

Last edited:

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Drove forklifts off and on for 50 years and didn't know you were supposed to be certified. And i drove some big ones.
Crazy younger generations want a certificate for everything.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drove forklifts off and on for 50 years and didn't know you were supposed to be certified. And i drove some big ones.
Crazy younger generations want a certificate for everything.
Lawyers and InsInsurance

Proof you're competent to be instructor or incompetent because you didn't follow certification.

Very common these days.

Company had us sign for any and all training. When something happened, lawyers could show you were trained, didn't follow training and justify termination. Sometimes deserved, but not always.

Latest posts

Top Bottom