So you like to talk big-bore?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know what you are really shooting at the range.

Just finished going through five - 5 gallon buckets of range brass from the pistol range. Was hoping to score some 45 Colt, some 44 Mag or maybe even (fingers crossed) some 41 Mag. I got less than half of a coffee can, maybe a quart bag of the ones I wanted, but did confirm something I have long suspected.

pistol brass.jpg

The bucket on the left is half full of 38Spl, 40S&W, 10MM, 357Sig, a few others.
The orange bucket on the right is half full of 45Auto.
The giant pile in the middle is 9mm, 380ACP, 22LR and whatever else fell through the sorter. I guess the old saying is true: Americans talk 45, carry 38's, and shoot 9mm.

Lonewatie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I clean a local pd range, 90% 9mm since thats what they carry. I get a few 5 gallon buckets of 223 after a week of quals and a training class. I get a fair amount of 10/357/44 when i go swap buckets but its mostly 9mm

Sent from my WIENER using Tapatalk

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was at an ENS last year (or was it the year before?) at Big Boys, I stopped and inquired about range brass. They sell it in buckets, mixed. I don't remember the price, but when I looked at one of the buckets I passed.

There may have been some other brass in there, but all I saw was 9mm. My least favorite cartridge.

But I still have probably a half dozens firearms that shoot it.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always liked and respected the 9mm, it was the first cartridge I ever reloaded. For the last couple of years it's been the one I've shot the least. I used to collect as much brass as I could scrounge; I collected a lot of 9mm and cleaned it in corncob media.
Then the price of ammo went down, I got interested in other cartridges and stopped loading and shooting the 9mm.
I still like the 9mm with a 147 grain bullet out of my rifle; that's a pretty useful combination.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do not now or have I ever owned a 9mm.
.45ACP, .45Colt, .44Mag, .41Mag, .357Mag, even .30Carbine. I am a brass scrounger, have a stash of 9mm and .40 I have tried to sell or trade, with little luck.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do not now or have I ever owned a 9mm.
.45ACP, .45Colt, .44Mag, .41Mag, .357Mag, even .30Carbine. I am a brass scrounger, have a stash of 9mm and .40 I have tried to sell or trade, with little luck.

I would love to find some abandoned 41 Mag brass at the range but it seems that the 3 people in the state of Oklahoma who shoot it are also reloaders.

Latest posts

Top Bottom