Somebody educate me on calibers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First of all if I you are some key board commando that likes to start **** in other peoples threads, PLEASE STAY OUT OF THIS THREAD!

I am usually pretty knowledgeable about calibers but lately I am seeing lots of ads for calibers with:

Lapua-
Warbird-
RUM-
Win Mag-
LOTT-

And the like.... Can somebody please tell me what the difference is?

Thanks.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm an internet commando! LOL.

Normally when a wildcatter produces a new cartridge, they name it after themselves, or pick a name that means something to them.
Its not a caliber thing, just a naming thing.
Lapua is a brass manufacturer, and the story goes on.

RUM is Remmington Ultra Mag.

Win mag, is Winchester magnum as in .300 win mag.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lazzeroni made the Warbird. All of his stuff is just made to burn barrels up. I don't know much about the warbird. I know he also wildcatted a .224 that goes over 5000 FPS. Somebody on here has one.

Jack Lott did the 458 Lott. I believe it was intended to better the 458 Winchester magnum for dangerous game.

CrossJ

Marksman
Reaction score
Dennis pretty well summed it up. It has gone on forever....there was the .243 Winchester, 6mm Remington, 204 ruger just to name a few. Those were probably considered wild cats in their days. Popularity caused general recognition to drop 'name' in the description.

Are you looking at something in particular?

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Lapua mentioned is probably the 338 Lapua which was a long range sniper round originally. The last I heard it was responsible for the longest distance confirmed kill by a sniper ever. It has become pretty popular with long range shooters since. The RUM line from Remington are a bunch of over bore full length cartridges that I've heard are rather hard on barrels and the shoulder. BTW, it means Remington Ultra Magnum (RUM). The Winchester Magnums and the newer Winchester Short Magnums are in calibers where some are over bore while others walk the line. Most all of them kick the snot out of you on a medium to light rifle. The short version was meant for lighter weapons. Not everyone, but a lot of guys shooting them develop a nice flinch reaction. It's kinda funny to watch. I don't know anything about the others you mentioned.

Latest posts

Top Bottom